2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can someone answer a question?

Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5719

I live up here in NY, and have contacted 2 \"buyers\" in my area. They both want Green root, and do not show alot of interest in dried? Why is this? (Needless to say, all my roots are now dry)

My initial thought is that they want to buy my roots at wholesale green weight, cherry pick out the dandys, and sell them individually, thus making more $$ off me.

I'm baffled. I figured you pick your roots, dry them, and sell them, but it doesn't appear to be that cut and dry, no pun intended.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Seeker.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5726

Seeker the only reason I can think of is that they are hoping to get a better price out of the drying ratio when all is said and done and seng hits its peak price. I have never heard of a dealer wanting only green. Sounds fishy to me. What is their wet price? But one thing I do know is that everyone who buys and sells roots are in it to make a profit some are willing roll with the punches every year and there are some that will work very hard at getting a top price. Are you sure they are only wanting wet until your allowed to sell dry? Here we were not able to sell dry until the 16th.

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5727

papa,
Here is an exerpt of the e-mail I got back from a buyer, they want green roots:

The market is calling for green roots more than dry right now anyway. Do you have any fresh?
I see you are in the USAF. Thank you for serving our country. My Father retired as a M/Sgt after 21 years. This was in 1976. Been all over the world with him when I was a kid.
Take care and good luck. Let me know if you get any green roots.
Thanks,

I can't figure it out. I didn't even get into price with him yet. Law stipulates Sept 15 as the starting sale date here in NY.
Seeker

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5738

Seeker, I have a dealer 7 miles from me who gave me a dried price. About an hour north of Binghamton. If you need info let me know

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5762

can they ship the green root out of the country? or does it have to be dried. I would sure like to know

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5815

There is a market in china for fresh green sang, top prices paid. Exporting fresh requires a phytosanitary certificate. This certifies that no dangerous soil is on the roots. You ship to hong kong via china.

Or it is a way to ensure the roots are from this year.

guy

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5822

All valid points. I like the idea about a lower drying ratio on the green weight. I have heard buyers talk about the green weight price ratio, and how it changes slightly through the season, first it's 3.5 to 1, then 3.3 to 1, all the way down to 3 to 1 by the end of the season???

Fresh root is becoming more popular with buyers because there is a high demand in china for fresh root, and also buyers can control the drying process. Lets' face it, a lot of people don't know how to dry root properly, they try to force it, put it in microwaves, ovens, and all kinds of weird stuff that can ruin the smell, color, and alkaloid content...... which makes a lower quality product.

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5823

How about buying fresh large roots and replanting, hoping the big root genes are passed to the seed.

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5832

Guy, Where did you get the photo of the bear tracks in your avatar?

Re:Can someone answer a question? 13 years 6 months ago #5873

Seeker,

As a small time buyer (and a licensed NY ginseng dealer who buys only for myself and family), I will tell you my personal reason. I use this stuff. When I used to buy ginseng dried, I would see batches with cigarette smells, bleached, colored and what not. Now, if you are eating something for supposedly your good health what goes into the drying process matters. Is it dried on someone's dirty basement floor, no newspaper with toxic ink...etc. So I get them, clean them well to get rid of the sand and dry them the way I want to. That way, I know it's pretty clean.

If you have good quality old NYS ginseng (dried for collecting, wet for consumption), let me know. I will pay you twice the market price for it (not the 20% premium stated on the board).

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Who's Online

We have 332 guests and no members online

Login