2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale)

selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13109

Hey Guys,

I have never done that, but have considered it and I have been contacted this year by an individual that was interested in buying a few nice select roots from me.

Last year after we sold our genseng someone (that saw my youtube vids) contacted me and he was in California and wanted to fly to Tennessee to meet me and buy ginseng from me.

I guess showing your nice roots off on the internet can generate some serious interest in them.

If someone was going to come to meet me and buy roots from me (for their own personal consumption).

Just wondering about the legality of me selling ginseng like that.

I have looked thru the TN ginseng laws and don't see anything that sticks out that would make that illegal.

They are not purchasing it for resale, they are going to consume the roots themselves and want to buy quality roots, complete roots, with age.

Any of you ever done that ?

See any legal issues for someone selling it like that ?

Also - what kind of price would you ask for some very nice roots, complete, with 20-30+ years age on them ?

I am thinking at least 4 times regular market price. But not sure.

Your thoughts are welcome.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13133

if they want the roots bad enough to fly to you too buy em , then they must really want em, and they plan on paying extra for them. looks to me like 4x the goin price for average wouldnt be too much to ask for nice old roots. and if they went to some kind of shop and bought them they would probably pay even more then 4x, good luck to ya, hope you get the price your after

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13162

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Trev all you would have to do is go to your local agriculture dep and have the roots certified or if they have a branch where you can go and have them certified closer .Then you can sell them to any one in the U.S.

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13164

my local DNR office certifies root too.

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13658

Billy / Chief,

Below is a cut from the TN Ginseng laws:

==
To buy ginseng for resale or to transport ginseng across a state line, one MUST have a state ginseng Dealer Permit. This is required by federal law, but the permit is issued by each individual state.

The ginseng Dealer Permit shall be issued and become effective on August 15th (or date of issuance thereafter) of each year and will be good and valid through Aug. 14th of the next year. The fee for registration shall be $250.00 PER year.

To move ginseng out of state, one must have a Dealer Permit AND an Export Certificate as required by federal law.

Moving ginseng out of state without an Export Certificate is a violation of federal law, regardless of whether or not one has a Dealer Permit.
==

In my example (someone traveling to meet me, local, to buy ginseng from me for personal consumption) sounds like...

1.. I would not need a Dealers Permit (250.00 cost).
2.. I would not need a Export Certificate

I am not buying ginseng for resale, or shipping it out of State so neither of those seem to apply to me.

But now the person that buys ginseng from me, if they take it out of State, they may need a dealers license and a export certificate, but they would be responsible for that, not me.

Also if the individual is buying ginseng for personal consumption (not for resale) and they are not taking it across State line (they live in TN) then it sounds like they would not need a dealers license or certification.

But if the person does plan to take it across State lines, sounds like they would have to have both a dealers license and certification to be legal.

TNhunter

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13660

But if the person does plan to take it across State lines, sounds like they would have to have both a dealers license and certification to be legal.
\"this sounds right to me.\"

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13692

TN, I've been getting contacted by buyers too. I called my ag dept here in Vt and applied for a dealers permit. Simple (no charge here). I just have to certify it w/ them and I can ship/ sell across state lines. Sounds like they just want to try and have a handle on how much is being dug in the state.

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13731

Maya,

That would be nice if the ginseng dealers license was no cost, but in TN it cost 250.00.

Cost nothing to get it certified here in TN (but time and effort to get that done) but our dealers license appears to be quite a big higher than most.

In fact I have not heard of any other State where the dealers license has a cost to it, could be, but I just have not heard it mentioned here.

TNhunter

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13733

• dino77
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi i live in east tn and looking for a new buyer can anyone help me out? thanks

Re:selling a few nice roots - separate from rest - (buyer traveling to meet me for sale) 12 years 6 months ago #13737

I buy seng and i live in east tn. i would be glad to help you out with that.

423-437-1699
Thanks Tate

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 317 guests and no members online

Login