2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Has Anyone Pre-Ordered Seeds for Fall Yet

Re:Has Anyone Pre-Ordered Seeds for Fall Yet 13 years 1 month ago #9315

Latt

The one thing I have noticed about the seeds I have planted over the years, is that the seeds have a wide range in mixed colors. From an off white, tan, light brown, dark brown and even a dark coffee colored brown(almost black).

Regardless of color, I do know that my seeds have been germinating well. Which means they were stratified properly and that's probably the most important thing, no matter what color they are.

Properly Statified seeds is the key to good germination.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Has Anyone Pre-Ordered Seeds for Fall Yet 13 years 1 month ago #9316

Hi All
The color of the seed reflects the stratification medium and/or the chemical used for disinfecting it. Other factors that may also affect seed color is the length of time in the stratification box and how wet it was while in the box. Back in the 1980's the preferred disinfecting chemical in Wisconsin was formaldehyde. This left the seeds almost black in color and the cracked seed coat was a very obvious white \"smile\". Today I see household bleach often used (Clorox) and some growers use swimming pool strength bleach. I have also heard of using peroxide. The bleaches tend to leave the seed a lighter color. Darker colored sand will also stain the seed somewhat. The color is not important, as has been posted here, the condition of the seed content is most important. i.e. hard, firm and white not mushy, brown or yellow. Not all fully stratified seeds will show the white crack either. Ginseng has evolved a survival/reproduction mechanism that allows for seed germination one, two, three and even four years after the berries ripen depending upon environmental conditions in the year the berries were formed as well as the next few years.
Regarding Canadian seed: Many of the shade cloth growers in Ontario are very good at growing field grown ginseng and they routinely apply fungicides that protect the seed from many diseases but they still attempt to sterilize it as the sand may also contain pathogens. I suspect there are ginseng growers who prefer organic techniques as well which I think prohibits the use of bleach or formaldehyde. My advice is to find a seed supplier that provides you with good seed consistently and stick with them! There are also seed testing labs that can test ginseng seed for viability using a chemical called tetrazolium, which measures respiration but nothing else.

Re:Has Anyone Pre-Ordered Seeds for Fall Yet 13 years 1 month ago #9317

I agree with what Bob said. Especially this:

\"My advice is to find a seed supplier that provides you with good seed consistently and stick with them!\"

Personally, I have found a reliable seed source and found that the seeds I buy every year from them have germinated well and without disease.

It would be foolish for me to start trying out other seed sources after having such good success with who I'm buying seeds from for the past seven years.

For someone just starting out or someone that has not found a reliable seed source yet. Should try several seed sources in one planting so as to \"Not put all your eggs in one basket\", until you can determin which source provides seeds that germinate well and have no disease.

Bob also stated that: Quote
\"the condition of the seed content is most important. i.e. hard, firm and white not mushy, brown or yellow. Not all fully stratified seeds will show the white crack either.\"

The problem is that even seeds that are i.e. hard, firm and white not mushy, brown or yellow. Does not prove that the seeds were stratified properly. So it is vital that you buy seeds from a supplier that knows what they are doing when it comes to stratifying seeds.

classicfur

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds

Who's Online

We have 599 guests and no members online

Login