2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28569

Last night for supper, I had a mix of yellow squash, potato and onions fried up nice and crispy.

Oh Man - that is some good stuff. If you have some okra to toss into the mix even better.

Yellow squash...

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28570

Illini blackberries coming on nicely.

These usually get ripe a week or two before the wild berries do.

The Illini blackberries taste just like wild blackberries. A lot of tame black berries do not have that same flavor but these do - and they are usually about twice as big as the wild berries.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28571

Seedless Concord grapes...

Looks like I am going to have a good crop of grapes this year.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28572

Last garden pic...

Candice (Pink Seedless Grapes).. they are looking good too.

Hope you all are having a great early summer and all your crops are doing well.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28575

oooooh man, I wish I was neighbors with you. hahah

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28580

All your veggies look great!

Those 'sang beds look really great as well. Very impressed with the progress from two years ago! It's nice to see all that work show up as a plan coming to fruition!

BTW, your camera does very well at detailed photos.

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28604

Excellent work TN! What is your soils like there and PH?

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28605

Yummy looking veggies n fruits tn. Did u happen to notice if the one shang plant in ur seed bed grew the double decker berry pod again this yr.l

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28608

TN,
I have looked over your pictures several times and everything just looks great. I looked again at the pictures of your seed bed plants and read what you said about them being \"just about on schedule\". This is a partial answer to what I was asking about in regard to how different strains of ginseng plants mature. Apparently just about all of your plants in the seed bed are either wild Tennessee plants or wild Kentucky plants. I take it that there has been no problems with either of these plants maturing berries too early? I would like for you to try to keep a time schedule of other varieties that you might be growing and if they mature early, let us know. You are apparently at a somewhat low elevation and I would like to hear your thoughts about how you would deal with berries taken from plants in mid summer. Thanks for the pictures.
Hugh

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28625

Mortis... I gave away some squash this evening... once they start producing you can get more than you can eat on those. We don't really have any close neighbors here.. in the middle of 30 acres and only in the winter time can I see my neighbors rooftop thru the woods across a big hollow. I like it like that...

Whit.. the camera does make real nice pics, and very good on close up shots. It is a Nikon CoolPix L810.

Hobbler... Most of the berry stems on my seed bed plants are still developing. I did not notice that one that had the special berry pod last year, but I think it's berry stem was still on the small side. In a few more weeks I will be able to tell if it's going to be special like it was last year.

Maya - my woods soil where I am growing seng is not all that great. In my best hollow here close to home the calcium levels are in the 1500 range. The wild seng that I find around here close is not impressive (mostly smallish 3 prongers) so I don't expect the wild simulated I am growing here close to home to be all that impressive either. My woods soil ph is in the 5.5 range.

In my seed producing bed, I brought in some good rocky soil from a very good seng producing hollow (I put 6 - 5 gal buckets of that soil in the bed), and also ammended with other things too, bonemeal, bloodmeal, epson salt, gypsum, composted peat... and I give it a good dost of gypsum each spring too. This year I put on top about 10 gal of compost (my own home made compost).

They seem to be doing well there in my seed bed.

The soil in my garden beds - the PH there is around 6.5, and I fertilize with organic stuff... bone meal, blood meal, epson salt, green sand, and home made compost.

Hugh - you are right - all those big plants in my seed bed are wild roots, from my county and 5 of them are wild roots that I got from Billy... and they do start putting on berries same as wild here does.

My elevation here on my property ranges from around 700 ft to 950 ft above sea level. It is sort of rare to find ginseng in most of my county above 800 ft... it does happen but it is usually in places like where a hollow runs up due north to a high ridge or on a hillside that faces pretty much due north.

Thanks for the good comments guys.

I am going to get out soon and get some pics of my larger wild simulated beds including my 4 year olds. I will post some pics of that when I do.

TNhuunter

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 551 guests and no members online

Login