2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Growth after a year

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27444

No troubles, Latt.

you can grow in lower pH that what is posted above, however better if in the ranges posted above. Having a higher Ca is also very desirable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27455

toneo...

I have read that some ferns are capable of negative allelopathy (see details below).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

When I am planting a bed and there are ferns present I always take the time to remove them roots and all. Or just plant around them and give some space between them and the ginseng seed planted.

I have often found nice ginseng growing right in with ferns (the kind shown in the pic below) and that is one of the most common ferns around my parts. (southern Middle TN).

You might try finding out exactly what type of fern you have and then do a google search on that type and allelopathy. That would give you some details I expect.

Best of Luck !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27462

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. I am hoping that the seng will grow here because I have plenty places with good shade and good fertile soil. I should probably do a workup on the soil to find its qualities though. I think I will leave a distance from the ferns in the area just to be safe. My biggest obstacles will probably to much moisture I'm thinking. Thanks again!

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27463

Thanks for that picture Hunter!!

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27474

here is some growing under a fern that i found last year
Attachments:

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27487

My guess is that only some ferns are negative allelopathic.

See articles below that show some that are.

==

www.treeskier.com/forestry/guidelines_allelopathy.html

www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1546754?u...p;sid=21103393121011

link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02381726#page-1

deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/54322

==

PS... most of those articles appear to be talking about their negative impact on trees (red oaks, sugar maples, big tooth aspen, etc) and they mention specific fern species.

TNhunter

Re:Growth after a year 10 years 2 months ago #27547

TN Hunter-

Those articles you posted links to are very informative. Thanks for posting those!

Re:Growth after a year 8 years 3 months ago #38012

Hey guys, Hows Tony doing with his WA forest ginseng?

I will be trying wild forest grown from 3 yr rootlings and seeds in the Pacific NW Washington state this year. This thread was very helpful. I sure hope I can go organic. It is not easy to get info online about Washington forest wild sim grown experience. Kathy Sego and Charles Brun emailed me back saying I won't get much volume and people have had trouble with forest grown here in the Pac NW. I am going to try anyway.

Would love some conversation about experiences in my area with these forests. if you see other threads of Washington forest growers in this forum, or anywhere, please do connect me. I have replies to send me a notice. and I will put my 8003 in my profile here.

I am still looking for a good spot to try... focusing on drainage. raised beds, on slopes, find sand to add if needed.
speaking of drainage, will the roots really grow in rocky soil?

Re:Growth after a year 8 years 3 months ago #38013

Hey guys, Hows Tony doing with his WA forest ginseng?

I will be trying wild forest grown from 3 yr rootlings and seeds in the Pacific NW Washington state this year. This thread was very helpful. I sure hope I can go organic. It is not easy to get info online about Washington forest wild sim grown experience. Kathy Sego and Charles Brun emailed me back saying I won't get much volume and people have had trouble with forest grown here in the Pac NW. I am going to try anyway.

Would love some conversation about experiences in my area with these forests. if you see other threads of Washington forest growers in this forum, or anywhere, please do connect me. I have replies to send me a notice. and I will put my 8003 in my profile here.

I am still looking for a good spot to try... focusing on drainage. raised beds, on slopes, find sand to add if needed.
speaking of drainage, will the roots really grow in rocky soil?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Who's Online

We have 604 guests and no members online

Login