2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unstratified seed

Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26270

I noticed everyone sells stratified seed, but it'd be nice to find sources of unstratified seed for less money. Has anyone done this? If so where did they get the seed? Obviously not talking about people who picked their own seed here. Seems like if the savings are big enough that I'd be worth it to buy it unstratified and stratify it myself, especially with how high seed prices have climbed the last couple years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26271

There isn't really that much of a savings in unstratified seed,10-15 dollars. The work is in the picking and depulping, after that all they have to do is wait. Also, if a person hasn't stratified his own seed before then there is a lot that can go wrong or if immediately planted it also allows nature to have it's way with your investment. I really can't think of anyone who sells them green.

Hillhopper

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26272

So basically the only way to get good savings is buy it with the pulp still on? Then you'd need to pay the extra cost for shipping and the actual seed volume would be more variable.

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26273

I don't think anyone one sells it with the pulp on. At that stage of the game it would be like rolling $500 in pennies and all that is left to do is carry them to the bank and a friend offers to carry them for half the money. You have already put too much work into it for that to happen.

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26274

Well I would really think that depends on the amount you pay the friend to carry them. Anyway the point is basically, stratified is the only way you can get them unless you collect them yourself?

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26276

Ittiz wrote:

Well I would really think that depends on the amount you pay the friend to carry them. Anyway the point is basically, stratified is the only way you can get them unless you collect them yourself?

If you really want unstratified seed with the pulp still on them and live close enough to a supplier, then contact them and try to arrange to purchase them that way. Of course, that doesn't mean that they will sell them to you that way but it doesn't hurt to ask well ahead of time! It is way too late to do so this season but if you contact a supplier now or no later than late June of next year, they may accomodate your request.

Frank

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26279

Well, you never know what kinda deal you could strike up. A person could offer to help pick for a day or so or pay a certain amount to go in and pick for yourself, anything is possible if they are willing.

Hilhopper

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26299

I'd like to know where if there is any seed other than from wisconsin not that it's bad seed per se but us southerners know it comes up early to us now, and if u can't get to it in time it is a loss. Just wondering, me and my uncle got some years back from right here of course and had mixed results.

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26301

bawhite40 wrote:

I'd like to know where if there is any seed other than from wisconsin not that it's bad seed per se but us southerners know it comes up early to us now, and if u can't get to it in time it is a loss. Just wondering, me and my uncle got some years back from right here of course and had mixed results.

I have had some success with seeds from Wildgrown and as long a the voles, moles and deer don't take them out before they make it to 3 prongs, they should do well. Although I have never ordered any seed from Hardings Wild Mountain Herbs www.hardingsginsengfarm.com/prodct2.htm in Friendsville, MD, I believe that because their location is in the Central Appalachian Mountains, seed and roots from them, should do fairly well in the KY and TN mountains.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Unstratified seed 10 years 5 months ago #26316

Thanx Frank for info. Hope u kill a monster brother! Best of luck to u in rifle/muzzleloader.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 794 guests and no members online

Login