2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: growing in high pH

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22853

A method for inoculating mature trees would be very beneficial. Best of luck

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22854

From what I have been able to find and research so far, Hazelnut trees are inoculated with Black Truffle spores and grown here in the U.S. and are available for purchase from a few sources. Many University Ag Facilities across the U.S. are currently studying and testing other tree species in which can be inoculated with the spores and grow with success. I even read where an Ag Facility was successful in getting Truffles to grow on one specie of Pine trees. However, since Truffles may possibly obtain some of their' flavor from the host tree, I would not think that a Truffle grown on a Pine tree would have a very patible taste!

I may be wrong but I do not believe that the National Forestry Division of the Department of Agriculture would have a big problem of someone planting Hazelnut trees inoculated with Truffle spores! Hazelnut trees would suppliment feed sources for squirrel, chipmunk and quite a few other species of animals and possibly birds. One would just have to pose the idea and wait for approval!

Frank

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22855

I've heard they will grow on pine, but the problem with pine is they tend to acidify the soil, creating inhospitable conditions for the truffles. Pines grow fast so they'd be good if you could work around that I think.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22856

Ittiz wrote:

I've heard they will grow on pine, but the problem with pine is they tend to acidify the soil, creating inhospitable conditions for the truffles. Pines grow fast so they'd be good if you could work around that I think.

In this case, the application of lime should lower the acidity of the soil to make for a more favorable environment. One would have to be careful to not apply too much, otherwise you may raise the PH levels even too high for Truffles or lower the acidity too low to maintain the health of the Pine trees! Is there a happy median, I do not know!

On another note, I just read that fertilizers containing ammonium-N or sulfur-coated urea or aluminum sulfate will lower PH levels. This might be the ticket for lowering the PH levels on the property you want to purchase and plant Ginseng on!

Frank

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22858

You should go for it, bud.

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22860

Thanks guys. As far as I know, the site has not had a fire, but I'll look for evidence of that next time I go out. Anyone else have any experience growing in high pH soils? TnHunter- I believe your sited had a pH in the mid 6's, right? Any disease problems yet? Hillhopper- You mentioned your big site had a pH of 7.0 and that you were adding sulfur to bring it down. Have you had success doing that in the past, or is it a first time thing?

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22862

I have been adding sulpher to the areas that tested 7 or above for the past 3 years before seedingto get the ph down to the low to mid 6's. Some areas didn't receive any sulpher and still dropped somewhat. Pretty much anything you do such as spraying or fertilizing will help to acidify the soil a bit. The only thing I have seen in the areas with a really high ph is a bit of rust but nothing that the plant wont fight off and get over... and that's just here and there. Here is a couple photos of my three year plants I took several weeks ago, they have filled out even more since then and now have flower spikes about three inches tall.
Attachments:

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22863

Hillhopper,

You must being doing something right as from what I can see in the pic, all of the three year olds each have 5 leaves per prong! That should indicate that they will graduate to young 4 prongers the next time they come up. Oh and congrats on a nice patch of seng! I bet that the rest of your' Ginseng plants look just as good.

Frank

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22867

Several already have.
Attachments:

Re:growing in high pH 10 years 9 months ago #22868

Almost every plant that came up a 3 in it's second year came up a 4 this year. The deer seem to have taken a liking to my four prongs. I found alot that had been browsed. After a dose of copper sulphate, they have left everything alone though.

Hillhopper

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 604 guests and no members online

Login