2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting completed

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22293

Littleman..

Best of Luck !

Let us know how they do - germination wise later this spring.

A few years ago several of us had back luck planting late winter, but not sure if that was due to bad seed (or green seed), or the time of planting.

I would be interested in knowing if for sure, late winter, early spring planting works OK (given good seed).

Thanks

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22294

Good luck! Sounds like some cumbersome work ahead for you. Just be careful with breaking the tails and try to not leave any tails pointing upwards. It's really hard on them to do a 180 and elbow back down.

Hillhopper

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22298

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Littleman if I have caught your reply in time before you have went to plant I would recomend raking the leaves back just laying the seed down and recovering with the leaves since the tails are showing good luck man

Tn - I will let you know how this late planting does it is realy just an exsperiment for me but anxious as well to see the results so I will post back to this same thread for information to everyone about my luck with it and all.

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22302

Guys,
It's too risky planting this time of year with the seeds already tailing. I tried a lb. several years ago with horrible results,(never again). Just too easy to break or damage the sprout. Seed needs that winter bedding to get all nestled in for spring growth.

rootman

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22303

You actually caught JUST in time Billy, I'm planting today. I'm trying a bunch of different planting methods and will do a test batch on top of the soil like you said.

I don't understand why Spring planting hasn't worked for us and I'm determined to find out why. Spring planting limits the predation time of the seeds, so I want to figure out how to maximize germination. If the seed is viable, not diseased, kept moist under mulch, not planted too deep or too shallow and the tails aren't broken off we should be good. Right?

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22304

Billy's idea is a good one. Another option is to use TNhunters MODIFIED rake and scatter method. If you use that rake as much top soil to the side. Broadcast the seeds gently. Then gently rake some of the top soil back over the tailing seeds and do not tamp or walk the beds down. Then when done gently rake the leaf litter back on top. Getting extra soil around the seed tails may help them set in well and preserve the moisture around the seed tail.
Good luck either way. Hopefully you will get a good rain (OR SNOW lol) to help set them in as well as to set the leaf litter in place. Those tails are key and they cannot dry out.
Latt

Re:Planting completed 11 years 3 weeks ago #22307

I am tired and sore after spending the afternoon prepping the site and getting just under 1/2 lb in the ground. I dug 1 inch deep furrows and gently laid the tailing seeds inside. I then covered them with about 1\" of dirt and watered/sprayed them with either Actinovate or Plant Helper. After that I spread gypsum and slug killer and then laid down a good layer of straw. i don't think the tails will be drying out. These seeds should have everything they need to get started.
The hardest part was clearing the area and getting rid of all the existing root systems. I killed a lot of ferns and jack-in-the-pulpits today so I'm confident this will be a good site.
I will keep you guys updated.

It was laborious and I will try to avoid ever doing it again this late. I had to pay close attention and make sure every tail was pointing down.

TN, I think you're right, this plant is tougher than we think. How are your early birds doing?
Rootman, I hear ya, never again. However I don't think I broke any sprouts.
Latt, There is a creek nearby so I brought my sprayer and made sure the ground was moist.

I still have ~ 1/4 lb of seed that I'm planning to rake and scatter in a different location, so I can compare planting methods.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 182 guests and no members online

Login