2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng

Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19680

Does anyone know why some seed heads have a singular flowering stem below the main cluster of flowers on ginseng? Is it a special purpose flower? Here is a pic of a 4 prong with a single berry below the main cluster, i already removed the top cluster, What are your thoughts on this.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19686

Interesting. Do you find that fairly often? I've never seen that before, or even a picture of it for that matter.

I know some things that seem overly uncommon are rather common to me. For instance, in a bed of selects, I might have a half dozen four leafers out of 1000 plants. Today, I dug 50 selects, and had maybe three or four 1 year old plants with double tops. These aren't common, but to me not uncommon. So I'm really curious, because the way you posted, it makes me think this is not uncommon for you and it might be a genetic thing.

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19690

funny you mention it, I saw this for the first time ever, got this one a few days ago. She had 42 berries on top and one below it. Monster root pictured on a flat rate box (you know how big those boxes are). Plant stood 24\" tall, golf ball size berry pod, 6\" long leaflets, 6\" long main section of root.

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19693

I can't recall seeing this before. Also, I went to a wild patch I have been observing for the past 10 years and every plant was gone. There are about 3 dozen 4 prong plants in this small area. They were not dug, just gone. No trace of a yellow plant top or brown leaf with dry stem to be found.
The drought really hit em hard in this area.
I am glad you fellas are still able to find some in some areas.
Latt

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19697

BCastle, I often find plants with a seed head and a singular flower below on 10-15 yr plants, but i have only seen the berry appear on more mature plants +20 years. i have seen pictures of double seed heads as well. Since i did not dig this plant i am not sure of its age. 2 ft away from that plant was a monster 3 prong with a golfball size seed head. (picture to follow') This plant was growing in a brush pile and at first glance it looked like one of the seeds had fallen off and was lying on the log but when i lifted it up i discovered that is was attached. i had to go back home and get my camera and when i returned i planted all the seeds except for the 1 stem seed which i took back to my freshly planted false unicorn patch and planted it where it would be easy for me to observe it. Most of the seeds on this plant were either already gone or missing.

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19698

here is what it looked like at first glance.
Attachments:

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19699

Vermont,
Nice work with the root, I left my plant in the ground. I would like to keep it for a seed producer. here is a pic of the three prong next to it. It sure was a beautiful sight to see this year considering the extreme drought and temperatures here.
Attachments:

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19702

This is a picture of the second five prong I ever found. It had a single leaf growing off the berry stem about halfway up. So maybe 6 prong? Anyway I dug this plant last year and don't remember the weight of root but it was big. Must be every now and then when a plant gets nice and old they just grow some funny appendages??
Attachments:

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19703

The picture was taken alittle close and with a phone. But what Im holding is the berry stem with the odd looking leaf growing off of it. I wish I had replanted that beauty.

Re:Question about Seed Heads on Ginseng 11 years 7 months ago #19714

K_duce wrote:

Does anyone know why some seed heads have a singular flowering stem below the main cluster of flowers on ginseng? Is it a special purpose flower? Here is a pic of a 4 prong with a single berry below the main cluster, i already removed the top cluster, What are your thoughts on this.

This not real uncommon. I see it quite often. May be a way of nature hiding a seed or two from foraging animals eating the tops.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 416 guests and no members online

Login