2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pics from Saturday while shrooming

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17029

TNhunter,

The second picture that you posted looks like Devil's Urn . We have tons of them on our place.

Bit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17030

Be very careful of the fall puffballs. When they are small, amanitas look the same as the puffballs and are quite deadly. I don't usually pick puffballs unless they are at least grapefruit size. Even then, slice them in half right through the root. If they are amanitas, they will show the stem and gill outlined in the middle.

Here is a quote from a website that says it well...

\"With smaller puffballs you must make sure the entire fruiting body is homogeneous, consistently the marshmallow texture. You should slice down the center of every puffball to make sure there is not a pre-formed mushroom inside. If so, it is likely to be an immature form of the death angels, Amanita bisporigera, Amanita virosa, and Amanita verna. They are all deadly. Do NOT eat them. In fact they are quite cruel. Feeling better after the first attack is the sign of impending death. Ninety percent of all mushroom fatalities involve amanitas.\"

http://www.eattheweeds.com/lycoperdon-perlatum-edible-puffballs-2/

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17033

Good advice BCastle.
And when they are this big (as shown below in the pic)is a sure indication they are giant puffballs and even a novice shroom hunter should feel safe if they are unsure. Amanita's do not get as big as a basketball. So if there is doubt for anyone out there on weather or not to try eating a puff ball and if anyone has any reservations just eat the ones that are soccer ball size or larger like this one below.
Attachments:

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17038

Latt..

Your last Pic there is a good one and now that I see it a little better I am not so sure what I find in my yard is the same thing.

Mine if not near that white but has more of a very light tan color to it, and after they mature and start to shrink they turn darker brown.

I have never seen one get near as large as yours or look that white.

Softball size is about as big as mine get.

This summer or fall I will post a pic of them when they start showing up.

I am leaning more towards what I have may be the dangerous ones that Bcastle mentioned and will sure treat them like that until I find out different.

PS - I walked a mile today with a good looking red head (my wife) down our black top road and could hardly watch where I was going for trying to spot morels along the roadway edge :-)

Still no luck, but it rained agian today and it has really warmed up so perhaps they will be out soon.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17039

Skipnbit...

I believe you are right about that second one being Devils Urn - looks exactly like it to me (the pre cup forming stage).

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17041

TN do they look like this??

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17042

100% sure they aren't devil urns.. They could be very young Xylaria Polymorpha (Dead Man's Fingers) or the start of very young earthstar that black dot in the center has me thinkin earthstar.. They aren't ediable for sure.

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 2 weeks ago #17045

TNhunter wrote:

Skipnbit...

I believe you are right about that second one being Devils Urn - looks exactly like it to me (the pre cup forming stage).

Thanks

TNhunter

You're so Welcome! :) I have tons of pictures of them on our place but they are on the external hard drive and a booger to find since all of the 300+ files that are backed up on it are un-named. :S

Plan on hitting the woods tomorrow so I'll make sure that I've got the camera with me so I can get fresh pix. ;)

Trahn007,

I'm new to 'shrooms but I don't think TN's are Dead Man's Fingers after looking that one up.

I love you guys and this forum...I'm learning so much every time I visit! B)

Bit

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 1 week ago #17051

trahn...

That last pic you put up is exactly what I have that grows in my yard late summer/fall.

Best I can remember they mostly show up after a hot dry spell and then a good rain, but seems like it is mostly late summmer/fall when I find them.

Your pic looks exactly like what I have.

TNhunter

Re:Pics from Saturday while shrooming 12 years 1 week ago #17058

TN... Calvatia Cyathiformis.... They start out smooth then crack and wrinkle with age. Are ediable when young.

Bit I think that mushroom is in the Geastrum (earthstar) family but just not sure what one. It is a very young fruit body and a hard ID at that stage.

Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Who's Online

We have 423 guests and no members online

Login