I checked with the dealer that is local, and he quoted me a price of $575/lb. today. I said $600 was the magic number for me this year, but the way the prices are steadily increasing, I may hold out and see where it ends up.
I really wish i new were it is going to top out at.....
I really think it's still got a ways to go yet... i just don't think there was that much dug this year.
I still think 600-750 is possible..... what's everyone else think?
Triton, seng may be like stock, past performance may not be indicative of future results. The price has kept climbing steadily for the past few weeks, making healthy jumps on occasion. Will this continue? I don't know, but I'm holding on to mine for a while.
As far as the quantities being dug this year, I couldn't tell you if it was a good or bad year regionwide. I've heard people say they did worse than last year, and I've heard people say they did the same as last year. I have not heard of anyone blowing away their previous quantity. The area I live in is screwy this year. We had a major drought, so I'm fairly certain the quantities locally are way down. Even though I have roughly the same amount as last year, I should have way more. I was able to hunt a new patch of prime woods this year, so I should be well over, but I'm not. The problem for us is I think the region as a whole had normal weather, so the drought just affected us negatively.
Digging here(Western NC) wasn't great either, the drought affected this area too. When season opened Sept. 1st we dug some yellow,with sourthern exposure. The 3rd and 4th weeks we found some with just berry stems left next to yellow plants almost dead already. There was some still green in the deepest darkest hollows. It was very hard to find. When we did find dead ones we'd ususally find roots while digging the dead ones with no tops, we called them bonus roots and was usually the bigger ones.Apparently they died first from lack of water.After the first week of Oct. we stopped digging, so much was gone it wasn't worth the climb. Hope the price goes up enough to make up for the drought. I'm holding and hoping!
I believe the price will continue to rise. Buyers I have talked to told me they were well below average on the roots they were taking in. I sold a few pounds already at a much lower price than what it is now early in the season, and was hoping to see $600 per pound before I sold the bulk of the roots I have stored. Now I am thinking I will hold out to see what happens as I believe it will pass $600 easily. What to do, what to do.