2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: newbie

newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27710

Was just wondering if anyone has heard of any good seng coming out of the hills of South western ohio. Have been a fan of native plants I know what I am looking at and for. Just can't wait to make this next season a family affair with my 7 year old twins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27711

Welcome,
Plenty if you have the right woods and conditions assuming no one has dug it out.
Good luck.
Latt

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27712

The beautiful thing is in total I know of about 3,000 acres of virgin ground

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27713

The funny thing about it no one walks the woods the couldn't tell you the difference between a may apple and goldenrod was hope to see my first lady's slipper in the woods this year when I am scouting. Also working on permission to hunt some prime spots in Adams county. I have walk many of miles in the hills hunting grouse in the past.

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27714

Sorry for my bad manners thank you for the welcome Latt. I have been reading a lot of the post and really like the atmosphere and respect you all have for each other.

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27715

BuckeyeSW,
You are welcome. Sounds like you have a very large and great woods to trek.
I am an Buckeye too.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27720

BuckeyeSW,

I also want to welcome you to the Wildgrown forums! We hope to read many of your adventures about Ginseng and herb hunting in the future! It would be great for you if the 3,000 acres of virgin land that you noted, is in fact virgin land and has not been hunted. However, it is getting harder and harder to find such locations as more and more folks are getting into Ginseng and herb harvesting and also, so many more Ginseng Poachers that care little of property boundaries, Posted signs and whether the Ginseng belongs to some property owner or not.

It appears that there are some great locations to search for Ginseng in Southwest Ohio West and East Southeast of Cincinnati along the Ohio River. The hills, ridges and bluffs along the River should be ideal locations for Ginseng habitat.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27721

Depending on the conditions, there is some very good ginseng coming from that area of Ohio. I doubt you will actually find virgin ground, but you may well find ground which hasn't been hunted in 20-30 years or so. I met a fella once who worked for a home improvement type company. He said most of the seng he found he spotted from the roofs of houses in the back yard treelines. Its out there....

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27724

Thank you Frank and b castle

Re:newbie 10 years 1 month ago #27726

Welcome to this forum1 there's a fine bunch of folks here, and the knowledgebase is really great as well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 580 guests and no members online

Login