2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Deer Hunting '13

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26601

Hugh,
Yea it's an Eastern Ohio Whitetail. I think it went close to 250 lbs. I sent this pic to my brother and he had already seen it. He said it is the son of a friend of a friend that shot it. Mt brother is from Eastern Ohio. I thought maybe it was one of those photo shopped pics so I was reluctant to post it. But apparently it is real.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26602

Pretty amazing deer! I see antlers coming out of it's neck, below the usual crown horns. I'm thinking that had to be painful for that deer. Out of his \"misery\" now, tho....

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26604

Whit,
Pretty sure that is a drop tine. It does look like it is growing out of the neck in this pic. But look at the other side and you can see that one floating free of the neck. On the side closest to you in the pic the tip just blends in with the fur color but it is truly a drop tine IMHO.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26605

Latt,

That is definitely one big bruiser of a Buck! It will definitely make the Pope & Young Record Books as long as it was taken from free roaming lands and not an enclosed hunting ranch or preserve. The antler in question is definitely a drop-tine but one that was probably fairly painful for the buck when it came to turning his' head and neck to the left. I wonder if the weight was live weight or field dressed weight? I took an 8 pointer in West Virginia in 1989 that weighed 235 pounds on the hoof and 185 field dressed. You should have seen his dad that I missed the year prior and which was later taken later that same day by an older gentleman (Burly or Burley Woods) across the mountain from where I lived. That old buck was a 10 pointer and weighed 285 pounds field dressed.

Frank

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26607

The original text and pic I got said 246 Green. So does that mean 246 lbs on the hoof before it was field dressed? I would assume so. I am not the deer hunter in the family. My brother is the deer hunter. So a lot of terms I am not familiar with especially when it comes to scoring a buck.

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26608

Latt the reference to 246 green which was probably meant \"gross\" is probably the Boone and Crockett inches of the antler. I'm no expert but that deer will easily be a 200+ nontypical. I could be wrong thou because he is definitely a heavy deer too.

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26610

Sengfever wrote:

Latt the reference to 246 green which was probably meant \"gross\" is probably the Boone and Crockett inches of the antler. I'm no expert but that deer will easily be a 200+ nontypical. I could be wrong thou because he is definitely a heavy deer too.

I believe you are somewhat right but that would be the Pope & Young green score since it was a bow kill! It is possible that someone green scored the buck using the Boone & Crockett scoring system but that would only be used if no one was capable of scoring the buck using the Pope & Young scoring system. I also believe that the buck would score over 200 points and would be scored as a Non-Typical since scoring it as a Typical, there is too much disparity between points on each side and the deductions would adversely effect the score.

Frank

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26611

Fellows,
I'm not sure if it is okay to link to this or not on this website so if it isn't just remove the link. Here is the info on this kill.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2013/10/big-buck-alert-huge-ohio-nontypical-rumored-score-256-inches

Hugh

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26613

Hey guys have beeb on in awhile but looks like everyone is having a good season here is my muzzleloader buck. a nice 150lbs 7 pt
Attachments:

Re:Deer Hunting '13 10 years 5 months ago #26614

That's a big bodied buck.... nice shot! Pleanty of meat for the freezer!

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 150 guests and no members online

Login