2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Hunt 2010 TNhunter

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 7 months ago #4647

Guy,

It was just a nice patch of seng (no growers in that area).

They did seem to somewhat line up but I think they were just falling down hill. They were sort of in a vertical line down the hill which is fairly common around here.

Perhaps a few years ago there was a nice big 4 prong or two in that spot (that someone harvested) and left a bunch of seedlings there which are now starting to mature themselves.

I got that spot marked and will be sure and visit it again in 2-3 years.

I have seen many patches like that around here but some much larger than that. Often where a steep little side hollow joins the main hollow that spot will have a nice patch of seng growing just like. Sort of like it poured right out of that side hollow.

There is something about a elevation or topo type change in a hillside like that that seems to trigger ginseng showing up.

Around here we often walk up or down a hollow searching the north/east facing hillsides for seng. When we get to a spot where a side hollow comes down to the main hollow BINGO it shows up and often in nice patches like that that sort of spill right out of the mouth of that side hollow.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 7 months ago #4722

Tnhunter... Nice finds. I do something similar as you. I go to google and use my sunrise theory and mark it on my GPS. When I find sang I hit it on the GPS and then compare it to my mark. I have a hit within 11 feet of my initial mark on google earth while setting on the computer..LOL!! So far I've found sang in 8 out of 11 spots. I believe out of those 3 their could have been sang at 2 but, I just didn't find it. The other was now a large clear cut.

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 7 months ago #4832

very nice TN. ive found some seng kinda high up this year too. ive been trying to broaden my hunting techniqes and not just go low and in hollers all the time. so far it seems to be working out pretty good. ive definitely learned alot

Re:First Hunt 2010 TNhunter 13 years 7 months ago #4862

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hunter wrote:

Tnhunter... Nice finds. I do something similar as you. I go to google and use my sunrise theory and mark it on my GPS. When I find sang I hit it on the GPS and then compare it to my mark. I have a hit within 11 feet of my initial mark on google earth while setting on the computer..LOL!! So far I've found sang in 8 out of 11 spots. I believe out of those 3 their could have been sang at 2 but, I just didn't find it. The other was now a large clear cut.

Hunter that is realy cool.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 260 guests and no members online

Login