2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ?

Re:How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ? 13 years 7 months ago #4365

I'm a brand new member, so I thought this would be a good topic to chime in on. First, let me say it's interesting to read all the different methods and philosophies everyone has. As for me, about four hours is the max time I spend hunting each outing. From the previous posts, it does appear that I get to go more often than some people, so there's no need for me to make an entire day of it.

I've also read in different threads where people have set goals for the number of pounds they dig in a season. When I read that someone has a goal between 8-12 pounds I am amazed. If I could get around three pounds I would be thrilled. I know KY and TN lead the way in ginseng yeild, but IN seems way behind from what I am reading. It does seem like I get a little more for my seng up here than some do down South. Last year I sold mine for $455/lb. It's learing differences like these that keep me visiting this site.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ? 13 years 7 months ago #4367

Jacquo,

What date did you sell and get that 455.00/lb price ?

Our dealers around here all started off offering around 250.00/lb.

Then it slowly creeped up from there.

Every time we would call or check, or hear when someone else had checked the price had inched up a bit more.

We sold on Oct 24 2009.

At that time our local dealer was offering 350.00/lb and the guy we sold to the previous year (over in a different county) was offering 380.00/lb.

We sold ours at 380.00 on Oct 24, 2009.

Then I heard around Christmas it was moving on up, and at buy/sell season end (which is March 30 for us) it had gone up to 500.00 or possibly a bit more.

I wish we had kept ours until March and sold at that 500.00 price.

I was glad to hear that the price kept on moving up and ended up nice and high.

That could be a good sign for this year.

TNhunter

Re:How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ? 13 years 7 months ago #4368

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
jchrisfos

I realy enjoyed reading of the partnership you and your seng buddy share,well done man thats awsome.

Me and my seng buddy keep our own bag,but we have both known each other since we where around 14 years old and where both middle 40`s now.We have went to church together most of our lives also.If he is having a bad day and mine is going good.I will say hey Bobby come hear I got something for you.He will come and most of the time when he comes he will say on the way to me what did you find Brother LoL he always says that seems.I will give him a big ole 4 prong to dig or maybe a real nice mature 3 prong,that is all it takes to get him going.Now if I am the one having a bad day and his is good He will do the exact same thing for me.

Now this might make you all LoL at me and him,but we call that getting our pardners eye focused or breaking the Ice :)

Whats funny about that is that me and him can both spot ginseng very well,but it does work.I do not know why,but once one does that for the other its on,we dig close to each other no more that 50 yards between us and we swag the holler,etc in a sweep motion.

Where never in a race,never trying to over hunt one another,and when he digs one I give him or I dig one he gives me,we never dig any other near by that find,just the way we are,and we have no problem at all.

We are going to raise some woods grown now starting this season,and our work and time in that will be as one,so when we harvest that we will dig it together.

Re:How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ? 13 years 7 months ago #4369

TNHunter,

I'm not sure the exact date I sold my seng last year. I believe it was either late October or early November when I sold mine. I hope that's a good sign for healthy prices this year. I have been out scouting a few times, and I decided to look in an area that is close to one of my patches. I had never really looked in that location before because of all the oak trees there, but to my surprise, there was a lot of BIG seng around the few hickory, elm, and walnut trees there. There was a rocky part of that new area that I walked, so the seng was growing sideways instead of down. I found one root that was in such fine black soil that I could wipe the dirt away with my hand. When I took a peek at it, I bet that dude was every bit of forty years old. With the discovery of that new patch, it should be a good year for me. That's why my fingers are crossed for good prices.

Re:How much time do you get to spend hunting seng ? 13 years 7 months ago #4370

TNhunter i sold mine at the end of Oct. 480lb to the frist name on the Tennessee dearler list....he will give me a higher price then any one else i sell more ginseng they any1 else year after year that he buys from. he knows it's not going to be any BS roots all 20 years up to 50.. that's why i get a higher price...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds

Who's Online

We have 458 guests and no members online

Login