2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tn

Tn 5 years 5 months ago #41559

Anyone hear about a Seng hunter killed by a bear? I heard there is a story out there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tn 5 years 5 months ago #41561

Yes stewardship, That happened close to my home here in East Tennessee. It was two guys that were illegally hunting ginseng in the smoky mountain national park. As far as I understand it they became separated, and one went missing. The park officials finally found the missing guy's body. His body appeared to have been savaged by a bear. They later found the bear with the guys dna on it, and euthanized the bear. There was suppose to have been an autopsy on cause of death, but haven't heard anything else on it. So, I'm not sure if the death was directly related to the bear, or if the bear happened upon the body after the fact. Hunting ginseng in the national park is strictly illegal with serious consequences if caught. They shouldn't have been in there digging ginseng in the first place, but sad story nonetheless. I'm always armed with a handgun, machete, and a buck knife when I'm out in the woods. If a bear wants to play games one of us is going to have a bad day, and I sure hope it's not me, lol.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

Tn 5 years 1 month ago #41764

I just saw an update on the man supposedly killed by a bear while hunting ginseng illegally in the smoky mountain national park. It turns out the guy died from a meth overdose. I thought there might be another side to the story. Fatal black bear attacks are very rare, but they have occasionally happened. Here is the article....

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/02/drugs-not-bear-attack-killed-man-great-smoky-mountains-national-park

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 450 guests and no members online

Login