2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40494

Got in another hunt yesterday (Saturday) and had some pretty good luck. The weather was Great, started off very cool and warmed up slowly, nice fall like morning.

My digital scales need a new battery so I am not sure what the total was but I would guess 12-14 oz.

This place is called Rocky Hollow and you can see why in the pic below.. It is an unusual hollow for my area, just filled with big chunk rock limestone outcroppings...

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40495

Here is a pic of the pile of roots collected.

Found a bunch with nothing but a stem and red berries left. Deer are browsing them really bad this year.

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40496

This last pic is of a couple of my favorites from the bunch.

That big bulby root on the left was gnarly looking...

TNHunter

Attachments:

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40498

great pic.s TN..

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40500

Went fishing this morning on a small local river. Nice cool (60 degree morning) over cast.

Caught a limit of bass fairly quick, and a couple nicer smallies in the bunch too. Man those fish sure put up a fight.

Going to be a great supper one night this week.

TNHunter
Attachments:

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40501

Nice mess of fish, can't wait for the fall crappie. Looks like you're in to some good seng this year too, nice job.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40505

TN..heat up the grease, fresh fish..congrats.....44 I cant wait either..spring crappie fishing here was lousy..hope the fall is much better....

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40508

TN looks like there's a couple three or four pounders there. Do you like eating bass? We don't have many people that eat the up here. We mostly cook up trout, crappie and large bluegills.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40521

Thanks for the comments folks...

jimsanger... YES - I love to eat those bass ... 4 of those were small mouth and one a large mouth, but they are all very good eating. I favor the largemouth bass (just a little) over smallmouth... because the flesh is whiter and a little flakier when cooked (more like crappie - which is no doubt one of the best eating fish there is).

I cook them 3 ways... deep fried, grilled and blackened.

In my younger (healthier) days... I always just fixed the deep fried...

But the older I get, the more important it seems to be that I eat healthier...and not so much deep fried stuff.

When I grill them I just soak those filets in a 50/50 mix of dales sauce and A1 sauce for about 30 minutes, then pop them on the grill. It does not take long to cook them, 3-4 minutes on each side... and when they start to flake apart, done... Eat em up. Very good and good for you too.

Blackening...

A little olive oil and some real butter in a cast iron skillet... med- high heat...

Prep your fillets by washing good, then dry off with paper towell so they are just a little damp. Then sprinkle/coat them with your seasoning well on both sides.

I use a simple mix of equal parts of (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika).. and season them up good on both sides.

When your oil is nice and hot, just lay them in, and let them cook 3-4 minutes on both sides. They will start to fall apart when done.

Good stuff, and still good for you.

Most health nuts will tell you you should be eating wild caught fish (cooked in a healthy way) at least a couple times a week. You get lots of omega 3's from them.

I eat a lot of wild caught large and small mouth bass and black perch too, and crappie, every chance I get.

When I don't have wild caught fish that I caught myself, I often eat sardines... you can get wild caught sardines at my walmart. They are loaded with omega 3's and lots of other good stuff to. They are my go to fish when I don't have my own wild caught fish in the fridge. A can of sardines is an easy tote on a ginseng hunt too. In fact that Is what I had for lunch on my hunt this past Saturday.

PS.. on the size of the fish, the two smallies on the right were good ones. I would say more like 2.5 - 3 lbs. They hit like a freight train, and fight hard all the way in, they just never give up and if you are not careful they will get off right at the boat. I have a dip net in my kayak, and used it on both of those larger fish.

TNHunter

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

TNHunter 2017 Ginseng Season 6 years 6 months ago #40526

Here you go... I just cooked up a few filets from those smallmouth bass and we had them for supper.

these were blackened as described in previous post.

Man they were good to !

TNHunter

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.416 seconds

Who's Online

We have 348 guests and no members online

Login