2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Day 8 river shang

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37267

Hobler666shang wrote:

Thxs tn. You do dig some pretty shang. I like to think its genetics I've seen some only ten yrs old n have big grow rings n big roots then dig one ten ft away the same age n leave it there to grow cause its to small. Shang is so hard to understand u think u know it all then it throws u a curve ball. Man I Lov ginseng

x2...ain't that the truth! Have you sold anything yet Hobbler?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37270

Sorry Maya I meant to reply to ur post the other day. But yes i have. My dealer called me up n told me to bring all the green I had.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37271

I agree Hobler,
Here's one for ya,

I had some container seng growing great. I put it on the north/east side of the house so it would get morning sun for 2 to 3 hours and then be in the shade the rest of the day. Well after a week it started to look really stressed. So I moved in over to the west side of the house on the north side of the garage so it didn't get any southern sun. Well in the PM it would get 2 to 3 ours of sun from about 5 to 7 or 8 pm.

It looks great. Go figure ?????? PM sun better than AM sun? That goes against everything I have read. Come to think of it though, I have found a lot of great seng growing in the woods on Southern and Western facing slopes. Not ain't that interesting.
What do I know???? Lol
Latt

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37274

Latt i think gingeng is very adaptive to its environment. I look for shang on all sides of the slopes expically on the ends. Plus I find it in cedar,pine not hemlock so much but if the berries r dropped there they grow and found so nice patches in them go figure. There is one thing for sure expect the unexpected.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37279

I think it's different for us this far north Hobbler. We can find it on all slopes due to our climate. I've got some patches where there are some pines but the plants and root are somewhat smaller.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37280

I agree with u Maya anything in the pines r smaller. I think we have the best conditions for growing shang the shorter season makes them pump more into the roots to over come the winter to come so I think.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37287

It is definitely different for you guys more up north there.

Come down here to southern middle TN and look for seng and you will be waiting your time on south, west and most east facing slopes if you get more than a few feet up from the hollow bottom.

It just will not grow there. Too hot for it I think.. and the extra heat (sun exposure) makes it more dry too.

It will grow nicely on east facing bluffs... but not on your average east facing woods hillside.

Due North to North East is our best bet... and when you go past north east to mostly east... it drys up.

Not sure how far north you have to go before that changes, probably north of KY would be my guess.

TNhunter

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37294

Mostly on north slope here in GA.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37327

TNhunter wrote:

It is definitely different for you guys more up north there.

Come down here to southern middle TN and look for seng and you will be waiting your time on south, west and most east facing slopes if you get more than a few feet up from the hollow bottom.

It just will not grow there. Too hot for it I think.. and the extra heat (sun exposure) makes it more dry too.

It will grow nicely on east facing bluffs... but not on your average east facing woods hillside.

Due North to North East is our best bet... and when you go past north east to mostly east... it drys up.

Not sure how far north you have to go before that changes, probably north of KY would be my guess.

TNhunter

TN, I think you hit that right on with the KY line. Now on our steepest overly drained areas it does matter but as long as the moisture is there, I have found it.

I too, just last year, have found that every \"rule\" I had for finding seng was shot down. The elevation on the hill, the direction of it, the companions, the trees, you name it. I did notice the more other undergrowth the better (as long as it wasn't jewelweed, or nettles, or ferns) and if the floor was clean it was also void of any seng. Still gotta call rattlesnake fern \"sengpointer\" though. It always proves itself.

Re:Day 8 river shang 8 years 7 months ago #37361

TN I believe I'm just a few (20-30) miles west of you and just a tad north, and it's even worse here. Even with the older 15+ year roots, there just isn't very much weight to them. This is the biggest one I have ever found this side of the TN river and it was 1.4 ounces. Moving here from east TN I can tell you with certainty the seng is just no where near the same size here as it is back east.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 156 guests and no members online

Login