2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-determined shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Giving up 4 the season

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 7 months ago #31726

Wild you are just about right on amount to get per pound, ours up here are little smaller then ky, tenn, and the rest. But once in awhile we do get a few large ones. Most of our roots here where I hunt are a little larger then size of my thumb. What ours lack in size we have lots of replant of seeds. Like today I bet I planted no less than 300 seeds plus what I dug and seen hundreds of small ones. Our season don't open on the 1st of Sept. ours is the first Sat. So ours opened up about 6 days after everyone else. After the first weekend we only hunt Mon-Fri. from about 8 till we have enough of walken or root which ever comes first. Like today we found enough and went and asked to hunt in a few more woods with planting of seeds , which we buy, in their woods if we find any. I have been turned down only one time and didn't go in that woods.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 7 months ago #31743

Scouting helps a lot also. Find your seng in July and August, so you're not spending your digging time in Sept walking around in woods with no roots growing.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 7 months ago #31745

mortis, pre season scouting is always a good idea, and initially had plans to do some. The heat, timber rattlers, and all the other wild things kept me out, lol. The first week of September was brutal as usual here and some days I just turned around and went home due to the heat and humidity.

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 7 months ago #31759

Wise one..

Nice ginseng.

PS... I have hunted morels in the spring and went up some hollows that had a bunch of nice 3 prongers... and then go back in the fall expecting to harvest them but only find 1/3 or so of what I saw in the spring.

Dang Deer do browse the tops off a lot between spring and seng digging time.

Some of what you were missing may have gone to deer eating the tops, and those will come back.

I think I will end up with a pound or a little more this year. I have 12-13 oz now (when it drys) by my calculations.

Now I work a full time job, and only get to hunt a few times each year (sometimes 10 or so trips).

There are some guys on here that hunt it a lot, and must not have full time jobs to work during digging season, and some of them harvest 10+ lbs of dry a season.

I think the most I ever got in one season was just short of 4 lbs.

Wish I could get that much this year... but will be happy with a pound or little more.

TNhunter

Re:Giving up 4 the season 9 years 7 months ago #31769

Yeah I have been scouting since it first came up this spring. Also been getting permission from land owners since spring. The deer and bear and poachers have domed my hopes. I was hoping to come up with around $3000.00 to plant a acre of wine grapes this spring. I have a great spot but then again I will have to camp out up their to keep the pesky deer out.I cant really blame the deer for eating the tops they have to eat,also the bear cubs love to play and waller everything down that's their nature.So I will cuss the poachers . lol That's life.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 114 guests and no members online

Login