2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Illegal ginseng harvest bust!

Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31310

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31311

Wish it could happen more often. My farm and two adjoining properties had some of our sang poached in July. My neighbors took some \"measures\"...I installed cameras.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31319

At their estimated value it would be $947+ dollars a pound. Take note of that and don't sell less West Virginia diggers.
If the local Authorities can get that price why should the LEGAL diggers get less?Yeah I am all for getting the most for your Time and effort. AS long as its legal.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31325

Huntsman53,

That is pretty wild considering you are not a dealer. An e-mail forwarded to the proper authorities with the e-mail addresses of those involved would be about all you can do at this point. Those crooked dealers must be trying to grasp at any straws they think they can hold on to.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31335

I didn't see anything about licensed dealers being arrested. It may be poachers selling to what I call scabs that buy all summer for less than half the price,then pretend that they and their family dug it legally.
It could be some Dealers involved also because of the amount of poundage?

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31337

So good to hear. Just wish they targeted EVERY state EVERY year. They seem to only do 1 state each year on a rotating basis.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31343

Good to read this, thanks for posting.

I trust that the State of WVA will sell these roots, rather than burn them like they do other illegal harvests. Be a real waste to eliminate this quantity from the market.

I wonder what the price of WVA roots ended up at last year? 967/lb would have light compared with the ending price of NC roots last year.

That quantity of root must have included the usual dealers, IMHO. Perhaps this is fallout from that stupid TV show?

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31344

the dealers are turning other dealers in to knock out the other buyers and gain more customers,that is what my buyer has said to me

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31348

more arrests likely to follow.

http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20140917/GZ01/140919317

It probably looks like a scenne from the movie \"Deliverance\" all them poachers squealing on everyone else in hopes of a plea>

some dealers somewhere in wva, are going down.

Re:Illegal ginseng harvest bust! 9 years 6 months ago #31350

Good afternoon fellows,
Help me here just a little bit. How did they come up with a value of $180,000.00 for this room full of ginseng? It looks like almost a million and a half worth at 2013 value. How have I missed this?

Hugh

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 363 guests and no members online

Login