2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: How much you dig?

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26542

Dug about 4 dry lbs. and planted probably 3000 seeds from my seed beds. Every plant I dug I tried to put back some of my own seeds plus any berries.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26545

Great info fellas. Thanks for the response and it is clear we are putting back more than we are digging. Way to go everyone, you are all great stewards of the woods.
Thanks again,
Latt

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26548

I dug just a hair over a pound. Actually this year I transplanted and planted berries more than I actually dug for myself. I'll be planting 25 1/4 lbs of seed this year. I would like to think I help wild ginseng a lot more than I hurt it.

Hillhopper

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26550

Fellows,
As I have already mentioned, this was my first year to dig and I got slightly under 1/2 lb. dry. Carolyn and I made it a point to plant every berry that we could see and after the digging was over in the National Forest I began digging my own rootlets and transplanting them. So far I have transplanted about 450 rootlets and I have some more that I want to dig and move to other areas. I hope to get to one more pound of seed shortly. I really appreciate the efforts that many have gone to.
Hugh

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26553

nice digging this year guys.. ended up with a few pounds my self.. better this year wet selling i thought

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26556

Latt, dug a little over 10 lbs green. A safe estimate would be at least 5000 berries. A truly great year to be alive don't u guys think? I also planted over 100 roots back in places no seng was growing. Plus me and my wife and my folks are planning on buying and planting a pound of seeds from 4 different farms. Not about to leave out my favorite :laugh: site either and sum will be bought here. We wanted to try several varieties from different states b4 we settle on one place to buy our seed from now on. Love this forum and enjoy so much reading what everyone here has to say! Hope everyone is safe and doing well, HAPPY HOLLIDAYS AND GOD BLESS U ALL!!!!!

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26565

I have close to a pound and planted lots of the berries that I found on the berry pods and some that had already fallen off but were visible. Had an encounter with a Sow Black Bear and her two cubs, found where a big bruiser buck has been bedding often and found evidence of another big bruiser buck. I received a 1/4 pound of Ginseng as a gift from from Mike Lee (owner of Wildgrown) that came from Scott Persons Farm and I plan to plant the seed soon on my brother-in-laws nephews property and some in the NF while Deer hunting. I had hoped to purchase more seeds this year but due to having to buy tires for two trucks, will have to buy some parts for my' Ford Ranger that my daughter wrecked and Christmas coming soon, I am pretty much tapped out! Oh well, there is always next year and hopefully with a decent crop of seed this year as well as next year, the prices may be down some.

Frank

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26571

Dug 1.5lbs of dry root this year in Vermont.
A lot more looking than finding, but had a great time in some beautiful locations.
Brook Trout, and Ginseng both live in some spectacular places, and that is why they are so special to me.Its not about how many I catch, or how much I dig.

Bill

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26586

we dug 2 pounds 1 ounce i planted 3000 seeds and planted 64 old roots i cant wait till next season
Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26589

kentuckyhilldigger wrote:

we dug 2 pounds 1 ounce i planted 3000 seeds and planted 64 old roots i cant wait till next season

what do you mean you planted old roots? you move from one place to another or is there some reanimation spell i have missed? please.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 632 guests and no members online

Login