2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24860

Thanks. I don't find many patches like that very often but it sure makes me happy when I do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24869

GibsonGranada... Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting pics of some nice Eastern Kentucky seng! I hope that the season is kind to you and that you find a lot more and big seng!

I am pretty diverse in my music likes but am very partial to Bluegrass. When we were kids, a friend and myself used to visit Dolly Parton's great uncle John who lived just off the Old Mountain Rd. in Sevier County. John was well into his 80's then, he had a Banjo that was about 150 years old and with a little prodding, some hot water and liniment, he would do some picking for us. It was unbelievable that at his age, that he could pick so well and fast once that he got his' arthritic fingers limbered up and moving. I sure miss sitting around and listen to John pick that old Banjo but I am sure that our Lord is enjoying his picking now!

Frank

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24871

Huntsman,
Thanks for the invite. Old Tom T Hall said it best that \"it may be that the good Lord likes a little picking too\" when he wrote about Claton Delaney. Anyway, I've put a lot of time into the hollers and hills of eastern KY and I enjoy it every time I go. People are too caught up in the rat race. They all need to slow down and see the finer/simpler things of life. I just came home from the Bristol Rhythym & Roots festival and it was nice except for the rain but I'm sure most of the attendees could've used a good shower anyway.:laugh:

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24881

GibsonGranada wrote:

Huntsman,
Thanks for the invite. Old Tom T Hall said it best that \"it may be that the good Lord likes a little picking too\" when he wrote about Claton Delaney. Anyway, I've put a lot of time into the hollers and hills of eastern KY and I enjoy it every time I go. People are too caught up in the rat race. They all need to slow down and see the finer/simpler things of life. I just came home from the Bristol Rhythym & Roots festival and it was nice except for the rain but I'm sure most of the attendees could've used a good shower anyway.:laugh:

LOL!! Been there an done that and some folks just get downright ripe! Me and the now ex-wife went to a movie once and I had to sit next to a homeless fellow. He smelled like he had not had a bath since the day he was born. First time I ever laughed and gagged at the same time!:S

Frank

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24882

GibsonGranada wrote:

Huntsman,

Yeah, too many folks just don't see or get to see what we old mountain folk see! I love sitting in a treestand on a cold, crisp morning and listen and watch the woods come alive at first light with all of the bird calls and songs, chipmunks chirping, gray squirrels barking and turkey making their' wake-up tree calls.

Frank

P.S. Tom T. Hall is one of my favorite artists along with Gordon Lightfoot as I love storyteller musicians.

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24883

Oh yes, I've seen some granola folks but hey to each is his own. I don't see why they are so opposed to a bar of soap. I mean lye soap doesn't have any fragrances or environmental depleting toxins in it. I mean when the good Lord drowns a city in a toad strangler, that's a sign that some people need to clean up their act. As for the music, it was great. Shovels and Rope and Hayes Carll where who I wanted to see and they did a fine job.

Your line about watching the world come alive has been a common phrase out of my mouth when trying to explain to my lady friend that getting up at 4am on my day off to pack a 50lb bag of my warm weather gear, bottles of female deer menstrual discharge, binoculars, extra shells, a .280 Belgium Browning BAR, a couple of pnut butter sandwiches and some water to the trunk of great big white oak to wait on the woods to wake up is such a great idea. She's not convinced:unsure: But anyway, for those of us who need it, there's nothing better. I've got to experience some amazing sites. I once got to watch a buck at the top of knoll as the fog was lifting and the sun was peeking over the hill. He had his neck raised and was chewing on an overhangin limb with his rack almost parallel to his back. I had just got my warm clothes on and was settling in for an all day hunt. I looked up and saw him and he blew two big streams of steam out of his nostrils and walked off over the hill. Even if he would've been a quota deer, I don't think I could've taken him. It was a site to see. I've watched black bears scratch their backs against hickory trees and coyotes run fawns however the yote succumbed to a broadhead during that skit.

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 7 months ago #24902

Always like to say Bluegrass and Bluegrass gospel music is the best music in the world for the best people in the world! I really believe it...

I filled in on fiddle this weekend with David Davis & The Warrior River Boys up in Arcadia, MD and Amity, PA. I couldn't help but wonder how much ginseng was in those mountains we were driving through. Probably a lot more than here in Mississippi!:laugh:

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 6 months ago #25491

beautiful patch of seng my friend. i am looking 4 someone to hunt with in claiborne county area if u know of any spots that a man can hunt let me know. would love to hunt up towards middlesboro with u or billy if a man could find the time to do it b4 its gone is the question. best of luck.

Re:Good Ol' East Kentucky Seng 10 years 6 months ago #25553

• bellco ky
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • digging sein and making memories! ahh good times
bawhite40 wrote:

beautiful patch of seng my friend. i am looking 4 someone to hunt with in claiborne county area if u know of any spots that a man can hunt let me know. would love to hunt up towards middlesboro with u or billy if a man could find the time to do it b4 its gone is the question. best of luck.

I have been seinin Claiborne co last couple days up in hignite and tackett creek. Finding plenty of big still green no yellow sein. Believe I can finish up in tackett . Turnaround and left sein today , but I'm heading back in there tomorrow. Hit me up ,I take and put you on some nice roots. Like to see other people dig it to. That's half fun to me. Help my fellow diggers ,took my cousin in there today dug 37ounces
. Never made it in woods till noon back at truck 15 till four. He had be home at 5 .We go digging got some good places. ;)

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 569 guests and no members online

Login