2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Logging kill ginseng?

Re:Logging kill ginseng? 10 years 7 months ago #24223

Here in Mississippi when hardwoods are clear cut the property is 99% of the time planted back in pines. We have mostly pine plantations in the county I live in where thirty years ago it was big hardwood timber. The ginseng hardly ever survives the clear cutting and when it does it's always in a SMZ (stream side management zone). That's a small strip of timber left to prevent erosion around streams with running water. I think the main reason the ginseng doesn't survive is because after the timber is cleared the property is sprayed with a chemical to kill the hardwood regrowth before it is replanted with the pines. Mississippi's summers are usually extremely hot and dry and plants in a clearing wouldn't last through the month of June. Even though older plants might survive for a while, seedlings would burn up their first year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Logging kill ginseng? 10 years 7 months ago #24295

Get into those other spots gijoey. You wont have any fun while there but after you get out you should be happy!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 379 guests and no members online

Login