2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 6.73 Ounces

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20524

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
rootman the root is wild and wild roots grow mutch bigger than that there where sevral other nice roots with it in the weight size of 1 1/2 to 3 ounces and sevral other 4`s and 3`s and that root is already sold a customer is waiting and as soon as i have it certified i will ship it,and all of that ginseng was wild ginseng in that patch it was a blessing for two of our friends actualy as they found the old patch together and shared the bounty congrats to them in the most and we do know the difference over here in cultivated or wild,thank you.

Billy.

rootman wrote:

Billy,
Your friends root would probably make good seed stock but would never sell as wild.
To big and smooth.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20530

\"Never sell as wild as it is too big and smooth\"???!!!

I agree with you Billy because I have dug roots much bigger than that one and some of their' root stems were as smooth as a baby's behind. It all depends on the soil conditions and moisture. If the ground is fairly loose where the root's stems are growing and loaded with nutrients and enough moisture, they will often come out looking this way. I once dug a monster 4 pronger off of a small island of dirt where the creek went around both sides and not only was it as smooth as your friend's 6.73 ounce root, half of it (the upper portion and bud) was above ground and that half was almost white.

Frank

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20552

I bet those big monsters were growing in some very rich and probably lose / loam type soil, could have been a bit sandy but still quite soft.

(much softer than what the wild seng I find mostly grows in).

My brother dug some in a near by county a couple years ago and it looked a lot like that. More carrot like and not a lot of root hairs.

When we sold, the buyer bought all of his as wild, as well as ours that looked - well more like what I normally see wild stuff looking like (more bulby, lots of small root hair).

Anyway I can see where wild stuff would grow and look quite different if the soil conditions are quite different.

I think those monsters that Maya finds - have to be growing in soil that is a lot different than mine. Seng roots just don't grow that big and long in my hard old middle TN soil.

Billy - I would love to have seen the tops on those monsters, and a picture of the hillside they were growing on. I bet it was a bueatiful spot and those tops would be a sight to see for sure.

TNhunter

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20556

There out TNhunter you just haven't found um.:P :dry:

TNhunter wrote:

I bet those big monsters were growing in some very rich and probably lose / loam type soil, could have been a bit sandy but still quite soft.

(much softer than what the wild seng I find mostly grows in).

My brother dug some in a near by county a couple years ago and it looked a lot like that. More carrot like and not a lot of root hairs.

When we sold, the buyer bought all of his as wild, as well as ours that looked - well more like what I normally see wild stuff looking like (more bulby, lots of small root hair).

Anyway I can see where wild stuff would grow and look quite different if the soil conditions are quite different.

I think those monsters that Maya finds - have to be growing in soil that is a lot different than mine. Seng roots just don't grow that big and long in my hard old middle TN soil.

Billy - I would love to have seen the tops on those monsters, and a picture of the hillside they were growing on. I bet it was a bueatiful spot and those tops would be a sight to see for sure.

TNhunter

:P :P :P :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :dry:

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20557

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
You know what guys I have found so many roots and so many big 4 prongs in my life I have no idea how many and every season i always find 1 to sevral 2 ounce roots and often I find a 2 1/2 ounce up to 3 ounce root and sevral times I have been over 3 ounces,and a few times 4 ounces,but I have never found a wild ginseng root that was 5 ounces or over :ohmy:

I know where one monster 4 prong is that I have mentioned on this site before that is a monster and I know the root curl is larger than any other one that I have found I have peeked at him,but I will not dig this one untill I am sure that I can not return to where he is again and then if not before then I know I will break that 5 ounce plus root that I have always wanted to break,who knows maybe I will before then,but if not I am sure that this root is well over my four ounce longed for find.

I always congratulate any one who finds those big roots.Being in the area I am from I have saw many roots over 4 ounces up to 12 ounces but every time that I have ever saw a root over 5 ounces it is not as the root from 3 ounces down,when they get that big they simply do not retain there wildest look now that is something that I have not studyed any to find out or to know why,but I just know by exsperience that I am right when a wild root gets so big it will not look as wild as it did,but there is no doubght that when you find a root in the complete wild where there has never been any one planting or cultivating then it is a wild root no matter if it retained that great look of the smaller roots or not,but I would love to know why not that has always interested me.

Billy.

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20574

that was a dandy root billy...just got on here and seen it..

Re:6.73 Ounces 11 years 6 months ago #20575

Billy I agree that the larger roots do have a cultivated look kinda potato/carrot texture. In my neck of the woods anything over 1 ounce will make me rally smile:). Back in 1985 my dad dug a 6.5 ounce root it is the biggest root I ever held in my hand:woohoo: we used to sell to a herb dealer in Nashville TN called Block Brothers (jewish owners) back then they were the only game in town, they are out of buisiness now. When we went to sell or seng that year the guy buying it saw this huge root and swore it had to be tame, my dad insisted it was wild and finally the owner came out of the office and looked the root over and told the worker that it was wild and to go ahead and buy it, he said it was common for the very large roots to look this way. After they bought the root they put it up on the wall behind the counter with some other big roots they had bought in the past, it was the biggest one up there. I remember seeing that root every year when we would go to sell our seng.

SengNveins

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 374 guests and no members online

Login