2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 10 long years

Re:10 long years 11 years 7 months ago #19058

ManRoot wrote:

theohiograssman wrote:

My other thoughts are, you gave up digging 10 years ago, but did your cousin go back every year the last 10 years? lol I know i would if the guy grants permission so easily :woohoo:

i forgot to answer back on this detail. by some crazy luck, my cousin has never really hunted ginseng since then. i lived with him for several years after that and he just never went back out. he got into other stuff and quit trapping and hunting, i dont think he even goes fishing anymore. im more worried about other ppl that may have wondered back into that part of the woods in the last 10 yrs, i think we were really lucky that we stumbled onto what we did before anyone else did. one time after we had dug the ginseng in those patches, we went to go squirrel hunting back in the same area bc we saw so many squirrels while digging ginseng. when we got a few hundred yards into the woods we heard something that sounded like a bear or a wild boar. never heard anything like it before, it scarred the shit out of both of us. we were going to say screw it and keep going, but all we had was squirrel shot. so that day we just shot a few rounds in canopy of the trees and high tailed it out of the woods. if i go back there and find ginseng like i did before, i will make sure to document plenty of it so all of you guys can see.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:10 long years 11 years 7 months ago #19060

I sure hope you find a big patch. I am still hoping to find a big patch. I have found several small bunches along a top of a hot dry ridge that was a blessing. I had purchased the TREKKER boots off of Cabela's 2 years ago and worn them a few times before sengin'. \"Thought I had broken them in enough.....\" Well I was wrong. Climbin' them ole hollers and hills of WV had put a hurtin' on my poor paws. I was raw and sore as heck. I soaked them puppies in epsom salt and then pure ice water. I got some of that self adhering ace bandage and wrapped them the next morning. We were heading out again and I wasn't about to miss out. Well buddy let me tell you I was in agony. Until I was standing on the side of that dry ridge. When I started finding 2 or 3 stalks here and there all over the side of that ridge, I forgot all about my poor feet!!!! After that I bought me a pair of adjustable ankle stabilizers at Walmart and put them on. They help keep the boot from rubbing when you are on a 60% or steeper grade.

Re:10 long years 11 years 7 months ago #19061

i have bad ankles too. i can thank high school wrestling and an incident with a 30 ft cliff for that one. my right ankle has a scar wrapped around it where i almost lost my entire ankle, it was hanging on my some tissue and muscle. disslocated it and it tore straight through the ankle joint. that was freshmen year, i still wrestled on it the following 3 yrs=O talk about some pain. i have a nice set of ankle supports that ive been wearing for martial arts. they fit on nice with my brand new pair of US Military paratrooper boots i just picked up at a yard sale. i picked up 5 sets of modern camos(the digital stuff they wear now)and the pair of boots, all for 50 bucks. 5 dollars for each set of camos, and 25 for the boots. still wouldnt mind having a yoho shovel for digging. those babies are nice, thats what i used to use for digging seng and trapping when i was younger. i dont own one anymore, and every knockoff i have purchased has bent on me.

Re:10 long years 11 years 6 months ago #19446

dude ohiograssman ? i love it !!!! it has been around 10 years for me also this was first day of dig'n dug around 50 found a lot of small stuff also but it felt good !! i see a lot of seng while chas'n bushytails but i been just plant'n the berries back and snap'n them off over the last 10 years guess it won't hurt dig'n a couple of pounds to pay for gas B)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds

Who's Online

We have 541 guests and no members online

Login