2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng...

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1903

TY you everyone for the advice... I am going to head out here in a bit to do some hunting again.... been off work for awhile and went back in last night, so now I have my days for seng and nights for working... works out just fine for me...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1907

Found all the identifiers and man I have atleast 4 acres of Black Cohosh, Rattle Snake & Christmas Fern as well asTulip Poplar... But no Seng...what is the market for Black Cohosh???...lol

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1914

• jeffj
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am from southeast ohio. around here a lot of seng hunters refer to black cohosh as pointer. I am not sure if what people in your area are calling pointer is the same, but that is what they are refering to around here.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1916

how many pds of cohosh dose it take to drie out to be a pd ?

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1952

That would depend on the size of the root I am guessing...I will post a pic of the root I dug up for identification purposes.....

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1957

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1958

lot of down timber after the ice storm

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1974

• jeffj
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hey coondog, to try to answer your question about how many black cohosh plants it takes to make a pound. It definately would depend upon the size of the plants, but a black cohosh plants root is about 4 to 5 times larger than a seng root of the same age. I would guess it would take 60-80 roots to make a pound. I've only dug a couple of plants out of curiosity, so this is only a guess. Although I dont consider digging them a Worthwhile venture if you do decide dig them be sure to handle the roots with gloves. From what I understand black cohosh roots contain toxins that could harm a person, though I'm not sure in What way they would harm you.

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1977

thanks alot jeff for imfo what people tell me its not worth the time so i will pass

Re:Having Hard time finding good spots for hunting seng... 14 years 7 months ago #1989

Black cohosh is a tall perennial plant in the buttercup family that grows in eastern and central areas of the United States. Black cohosh was used by Native Americans as a traditional folk remedy for womens' health conditions, such as menstrual cramps and hot flashes, arthritis, muscle pain, sore throat, cough and indigestion. The juice of the plant was used as an insect repellent and was made into a salve and applied to snake bites.

Today, black cohosh is used primarily as a nutritional supplement for hot flashes, mood swings, night sweats, vaginal dryness and other symptoms that can occur during menopause, as well as for menstrual cramps and bloating.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 236 guests and no members online

Login