2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Billys green house and Garden

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17978

Billy

That one slick set-up! Nice design.

Your a Genius! Truely a DIYer. I know many times I've saved a bundle of money by Just Doing It Myself.

Congrats on a fine job!

Nice looking plants. Their growing pretty good. Up here in Maine, garden plants are just starting to grow a little. The cow farmers and potato growers just started planting the fields within the last two weeks. We've had a cool wet spring.

Thanks for sharing

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17982

Looking good Billy,
What about air flow through it?
What about heat if it turns off cool and rainy or cloudy?

rootman

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17984

Very nice Billy.

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17985

Billy...

Nice Greenhouse my Friend --- and way to go at doing it yourself and saving some cash too.

Best of luck with that and your new gardening adventure.

That is one thing that I really enjoy too - growing some good stuff to eat.

You inspired me to get out and take a few pics of my garden. I am a little ahead of you.

We have been eating squash for about a week now, yellow and green and cukes too. Have some cherry tomatoes that are ripening now (picked one yesterday) and some other big maters that are still green but starting to lighten up now - will not be long on them.

Here is a few pics of how my garden looks today.

TNhunter

First my yellow and green squash and cukes..

Attachments:

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17986

Loaded with yellow crook necks...

Attachments:

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17987

The rest of that raised bed has watermelons (charleston grey) and cantelope's with the cantelopes on the ends and watermelons in the middle section.

They are spreading out good now and I have some small fruit set on now.

Attachments:

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17988

I have another raised bed with Tomato's and sweet corn growing.

Starting to see tassels in the corn tips now.

Attachments:

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17989

Oh man... can't wait for those babies to get ripe !

Will not be long now..

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #17994

Thats a really nice looking set up Billy! Probly in the long run yours will out last that 2000.oo dollar one I could see where the hog panels would work perfect for the shape of the greenhouse.It never even dawned on me to use one for drying roots! My wife and I have alway kicked around the idea of gettin one as our garden space is about 85 yrds long and 60 yrds wide My thinking is alway plant extra incase some of my plants don't grow! wich always leaves extra to give to family and friends. This year I picked up the tomatoe plants 36 Early girls and 54 Beef Stakes- left it up to the wife last year, GOD lover fur tryin and we ended up with 72 Cherry tomatoe plants! Needless to say she wasnt a Happy canner last fall lol. So I think a green house would bennifit me in more ways then one. And Nice looking mellon plants Guys for some reason that is one thing I can never get to produce for me it grow up then as the fruit developes it just seems to fizzle out on me! take care guys. nice pics !

Re:Billys green house and Garden 11 years 10 months ago #18002

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Thanks Bcastle

classicfur thanks and with that cool wet spring will that cause you to have a good ginseng season in that area ? I know that when we have a cooler spring and plenty of water that we have a very good season for wild ginseng. Like this season it is up and realy nice alot of the wild ginseng has already formed berry pods and have small green fruit appearing on the older plants.If I get to go today into the Mtns I will take a photo and show you this I thought this very interesting.

Thanks rootman If you notice in the photo I have 2 fans sit up for airflow and at the back of the greenhouse I have a area where I can open the plastic and allow air to come into the greenhouse when or if needed.The heat is not an issue for my green house I will only use it to dry roots in the late spring throughout early to late fall purposely cretating free heat for drying small roots,but if I decided to start early garden/plants/flowers etc for my garden next season there are sevral options for supplying heat to the room I would most likely install a thermostat inside my house runing from the greenhouse with an elctric heater and do a little study on proper heated air flow in the cool mounths.

Thanks Lenno

Thanks Tn: I do believe that I am realy going to enjoy growing gardens and I am looking forward to a larger garden with better tilled soil next season the good Lord willing.Man I love your garden pitcures I can almost taste them melons and tomatoes yum yum,and I love squash also,sweet corn is unbeatable with a good barbucue :) I noticed in your first garden photos that you had added hay onto your garden beds and I assume that this is good for keeping grass down is that right ? It seems to be a very good idea as the plants seem realy healthy and are producing well.Do you have irrogation in them beds ? I am looking for ideas with my gardening it is new to me but any way that is a nice garden Tn:

cpdunit1 thanks I got that cattle pannel idea from some photos that I found whyll doing some reserch on home made greenhouses and being a roofer/builder for 25 years the construction of the building just fell into place for me.I think that the my greenhouse will outlast the kit also for a couple reasons. 1- the kit is not as sturdy not being framed with 4/4`s 2/4`s and 1/3`s it is all straight or rounded framing made of aluminum, 2- The plastic is not as well attached to the roof as mine is allowing for more sevear wind damage if a strong thunderstorm developed. I was lol when you told about the wifes adventure in the tomatoes last season :) I am not sure about my Melons and how they will do yet but one thing that I am doing is making sure that they get plenty of water as I read about them and found out that unless they have sufficient water supply they will not produce very large healthy fruit,I will know more about this later in the season.

Billy.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 495 guests and no members online

Login