2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Scouting

Re:Scouting 06/23 TNhunter 11 years 9 months ago #18218

Rskid - Those were some nice looking plants in your pics. I've been out to a couple of areas in the past few days to check things out. It has been very dry around here for the last month or so and a lot of plants are looking pretty stressed already. There's not any rain in the foreseable forcast either. It may be another of those short digging seasons this year.:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Scouting 06/23 TNhunter 11 years 9 months ago #18221

5prong,
I here ya man... I have one year olds goin done everyday now. The two year and older are still holdin on but i noticed this evening some stinging nettle and blue cohosh that were wilting. I know a seng root sets deep but I believe we are about at the giving point. Temps have been in the high 90's with moderate winds for the past few days which is sure enough drying things out and a forecast for the next 7 days is showing high 90's and 100's with no rain. A short growing season for us Im afraid....

Hillhopper

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18230

• POC
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Trying to get started
Is that \"apple\" ripe? I've always wanted to try one, but read that they turn \"lemon yellow\" when ripe.....??

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18249

Nice pics TN and Rskid. Some nice looking plants. I hope u guys get some rain. I have had some decent rain and weather here in sw pa. I hope Ur seng holds in there. I heard rumors that ginseng sold out early this year in China. So if that's true that could help prices.

I did manage to make it out a few hours Sunday evening. I almost gave up on this spot. It's real wet. But I'm glad I kept looking. It started getting dark so I had to leave before I could look it over real good. But ill be going back in the fall for sure.

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18250

Nice little patch
Attachments:

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18251

pic
Attachments:

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18252

Lots of little ones here. This will be I nice patch in a few years. I couldnt even get them allin the pic.
Attachments:

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18256

NICE! those are some healthy looking patches PA woodsman.

Randy

Re:Scouting 11 years 9 months ago #18259

POC wrote:

Is that \"apple\" ripe? I've always wanted to try one, but read that they turn \"lemon yellow\" when ripe.....??

Won't be ripe this time of year. Right now, they would resemble a very mild green pepper in taste and texture. But, come September, they will be more yellow, and you can just 'squirt' them into your mouth. Seeds and all. They have a lemon/lime sort of taste then.

Re:Scouting 06/23 TNhunter 11 years 9 months ago #18476

TNhunter wrote:

Now here is something that I was wondering - what it is.

Can you ID this plant ?

Is it worth anything ? It has a big root that looks a little like seng.

TNhunter

TnHunter....was you able to identify that plant yet,,, i really noticed it growing on my property as well last year, At first glance from a distance it resembles star-root but after you look at it up close the leaf vein pattern is different. It also has very large root structure, If you figure out what it is please post it here.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Who's Online

We have 223 guests and no members online

Login