2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots).

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12118

Very Nice! Congrats TN. I very seldom find double tops aroung here. Lots of times I've found a couple of stems coming out of the ground less than an inch apart and am always hopeful for a double top, but I only ever remember it panning out once. I have found several that have grown together to the point that you couldn't seperate them without breaking one or the other. I probably think it's neat because it seems so rare around here.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12119

SengNveins wrote:

TNhunter

Congrats.....Good looking old roots !

I have found alot of the tops have been eaten off in my area as well. Makes it mighty tough to spot I'll say....I have threatened to saddle up one of the Ginseng eating deer and get him real hungry and let him lead me to the Seng they seem to find it pretty good!

SengNveins

Isnt that the truth i have a patch of seng across from my house and there isnt a top left, just stems. Deers really love the stuff. If only we could find seng as good as them.

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12120

Enjoyed the photos...Congrats on a good day there

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12121

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Congrats Trev,

Very nice roots,mature and ready for harvest.

The plants do look stressed,and the deer arent helping.

We do not seem to have as bad a problim as alot of others have with deer eating tops here where I am from.Now their is always some tops eating,just not in such numbers as alot of others,I am glad of that,because no doubght that would be complicated hunting.

Billy.

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12124

I read where the increase in deer population might be the biggest challenge facing the future existence of wild ginseng. I have been in the woods the last few evenings and all day yesterday marking plants. Our season starts 9/1/11. Many tops are missing and if it were not for them standing beside another untouched plant the stalks would be difficult to see.
I like deer thou, grilled, ground or jerky. lol
Latt

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12128

Beautifull roots TN, congrats.

I new where these two were, but when I went back to dig I couldn't find them for a minute or two. We shot a ton of deer out of this area, but not enough.
Attachments:

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12134

I have noticed some browsing by deer over the years but don't think I ever saw it as bad as yesterday, or may just not have realized it since I never previously marked plants with GPS then located them later on.

As I was driving to that place I was remembering the location of what I thought was 2 nice 4 prongs, and when I got there at first I could not see em.

I first though someone had beat me to em and dug them up, but I could not find any evidence of digging. I looked all around that spot and could not find em.

I then set my GPS to Find that Mark and moved around real slow following the GPS directions until it \"beeped\" and looked down and there they were with the tops eaten off.

I did that same thing on lots of others I had marked but they were no where to be found now. I think they may have just died from the drought.

I went up one hollow that back in the spring (while shrooming) I found at least 30 diggers - and only found 2 of those still visable.

It could be that the deer browing is worse this year because other stuff they normally eat is dried up and dead - so what seng is left is getting hit extra hard.

I found big patches of bainberry and maidenhair fern just dried up and brown dead.

We even have some trees (some Oaks, and others) that the leaves are all brown.

There is no big chance of rain in our 7 day now either. They are showing 30% chance next Saturday, but that is it.

If we do go another week or possibly two with no rain I expect most of the seng here will be goners.

I have this coming Friday off from work (for my birthday). My birthday is actually this next Saturday, but I get Friday off from work.

I am going to try and hit one of my really good spots on Friday, and hope to get that seng before it is all gone and expired.

TNhunter

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12135

Tn

Nice Roots....WTG...

I'm moving to Tn LOL....

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12183

TN.I think your right on money there..I don't have to tell you that Iv been marking on the gps for a few years now..Sat. I went out and found the same thing..nice bigger plants are dried or drying up..didn't really turn yellow ,kinda brown colored.looked like lack of moisture..really dry here right now..the smaller child plants around the mother plants where still green but the edges of the leaves for a 1/4 inch around the perimeter were turning the brown color..at this rate it maybe a short season here if they brown out instead of turning the natural yellow.

Re:11 oz today - two double top's found (gnarley roots). 12 years 7 months ago #12184

I was just wondering ,but have any of you noticed the acorns and nuts on the trees ?
Here there are very few and i have also noticed the deer are eating everything in the woods. ginseng tops ,poke stalks , weeds , just wonder if few acorns have any thing to do with it ?
I have saw them eat tops but nothing like this ..
Chief ,
It won't be long now and we get to hit the woods and start or season here in Il. chomping at the bit and ready to go.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 609 guests and no members online

Login