2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: SHOW YOUR TOOL

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12055

BeastMaster,

Yep what Billy and I have are really just more like a hoe.

It has a flat head on both ends.

On mine one end is 1.5\" wide and the other is 3\" wide and both are almost 6\" long.

It is very strong but not too heavy.

I just put my digger on my digi scales and the entire thing (head and 36\" hickory handle) only weighs 2.73 lb.

You can get 2.5 lb axe/mattox at Lowes but they come with wider thicker handles and some with fiberglass handles and they end up weight more like 4-5 lbs.

To me that is just too heavy.

We got some of that heavy clay soil down her in TN too, and we have not had any significant rain in near 5 weeks now and our ground is rock hard.

I was sure glad I had my long handle hoe last weekend and not some smaller lighter tool.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12062

My husband made this in his blacksmith shop. It's sturdy but small enough for me to handle.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12063

Let me try that pic again.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12064

sunwyn,

You have to resize your pics to be no more than 800x800 in pixel size before you can post them here on this board. See below for more details:

www.wildgrown.com/index.php/Ginseng-Foru...nnouncement&id=1

TNhunter

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12065

BeastMaster,

Last winter when I was trying to locate some gypsum for my wild-simulated plantings I went to a county farmers co-op over in a county not too far from my home.

I found that they had some hoe-heads in their tools dept that were somewhat like my old digger and accepted the (smaller round handle) instead of that wide and heavy handle that most mattox type tools require.

I think that is the key to getting one that is strong, but light. It has to be built for accepting that round regular hoe type handle.

When you do put a handle in it, don't use ash or birch (what they usually come with) but get you a good stout hickory or oak handle (something that will take the pressure).

Anyway they had two of these brand new hanging on a nail and I bought both.

I put a long birch handle in the one on the left and use it in my garden.

The one on the right I worked over (with my big shop grinder wheel) cutting it down to make it more like what I wanted in a seng digger. I have not finished it yet. Still have one more bit to take off on the top right (notice the black line I have marked).

Once I get that part cut off - it will have a 2\" wide blade on one end that is a lil over 6\" long, and the other side is 1 1/4 inch wide by a lil over 6 inch long and tapers down to be a bit more pointed.

I think this will make a good seng digger and I am mostly getting it ready for a spare or for a friend to take along. Some times I go and dig on other folks property, and show them how to find it, teach them good stewardship, how to plant wild simulated, etc - and it's good to have a spare digger for them to use.

Couple of pics showing what I found.

You might try looking around at local farmers co-op's if you all have those up north there.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12066

Side view.

When I get done with the one on the right I think it will make a excellent seng digger. I think it will be a lil heavier than my older one, but still not too heavy.

It is a bit beefier in the handle hole area, which will make it a little better at holding a handle than my older one.

I am going to try and finish it up soon, get me a 36\" hickory handle for it, and try it out this year.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12067

TN

That modified head is nice.I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12072

This is a great post. Very nice to see what you folks are using.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12080

heres my tool for digging the big Illinois root..LOL.....

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12083

Chiefton - - - that's a good one.

After seeing those roots you were showing last year I can almost believe it though :-)

TNhunter

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Who's Online

We have 772 guests and no members online

Login