2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Lotta Small Stuff...

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12008

FTB,

Yep those silver mink were not too hard to catch...

We did get 3.00 - 4.00 for the ole wiley possum back in those days.

Gas money :-)

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12025

nafa is where I sold last year ..is a newsletter they sent me...For the upcoming season, we believe that Muskrats and Wild Mink will continue to be in exceptionally strong demand,
totally dominated by China/Hong Kong. Otters, with excellent support from Greece for Russia, will continue to sell at
the strong May levels. Coyotes and Red Fox, which are trimming articles, have excellent demand from North America
and Europe and the prices obtained in May should set the levels for next year.

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12028

Chiefton,

Back in my highschool days 76-79 I would set a trap line in the evening after school and run it the next morning before school.

Often catch 4-5 coons, grey fox, mink, and always a few silver mink as FTB calls em.

Many of the guns I have today were bought with fur and ginseng money from back in those days.

A good 30\" Tennessee coon back in those days sold up in the 24.00-28.00 range. A nice bobcat up around 110.00. Seems like we got 5-7.00 for Rats.

We used mostly victor 1 1/2 coil spring traps and victor #11's for coon. But I had a variety of others (over 300 traps myself).

I have 2 old blake and lamb traps hanging on my office wall right now that have a 7.5\" jaw spread (big old double spring traps) that I sure made it hard on many a beaver with.

Ahhhhh - those were the days.

I would sure like to see a TN coon get back up in the 15-20.00 range. Might have to get me a few more traps if they do.

TNhunter

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12029

TN...those were the good old days...buy a box of rifle shells for 50 cents..gas was around 75 cents to a dollar....brand new traps were 3 bucks a piece...heres my main to traps,I'am mainly a water trapper..been trapping the same 10 mile stretch of river for over 40 years...the #11 and the blake &lamb #1 stoploss with the helper spring..best 2 coon traps ever made....

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12030

I remember my first dozen of Monty's for 33 dallars a dozen.Use to beable to walk into a True value hardware and buy victors off the shelf.I sold my first mink (small female) I caught in 1980 on the round for 35 dollars.

I'm glad the fur boom went away.I know the prices where great,but theft was high.When I was 14/15 that year I made 1800 dollars off of my bike LOL...Bought my first truck with that money...

If the fur prices from then would be to day with inflation we would have a 27 dollar muskrat..I seen that study some where with in the last few months...

I'm a mink trapper,Thats what I like to chase.If they 5 dollars each I'd still be trapping them........

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 12 years 7 months ago #12035

mink prices have made a nice rebound in the last couple years..I still got a few of the little #1 coil spring Monty's...

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 6 years 11 months ago #39956

I love to trap but I haven't done much of it the last several years. My best season was in 05-06. I set a goal of 100 mink and caught 102. I came close the year before with 78. Lol
Attachments:

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 6 years 11 months ago #39960

I too are a life long trapper started back in the late 1960'..last year all I done was animal damage control trapping..

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 6 years 11 months ago #39961

That's great chieftan. I sure love to trap.
I guess there's not many things outdoors that I don't like to do. Lol

Re:Lotta Small Stuff... 6 years 10 months ago #39973

I had a friend send some beaver up to the last auction..13 dollar average..thats just sad...

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Who's Online

We have 300 guests and no members online

Login