2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Killing Me

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11101

Billy I know what you mean. I live in Upstate NY and can't wait to get back home and go senging. I can't believe another year has nearly passed since I was in the woods last. It's a great feeling but also a sad one as each year we get a little older. Who knows maybe there might have some ginseng up in heaven for us hillbilly's? I was watching your videos the other day from some of your digs last season. Some nice plants and roots were harvested. I will say you guys made me nervous though. I wouldn't dare go out digging seng in WV without snake boots and chaps. With the copperheads and rattlers we have I don't take any chances. I also wear long sleeves to help protect from the briars and even hornets and yellowjackets. It's hot but definitely worth the security for me. You have a nice family and bunch of friends there to go in the woods with. You are blessed indeed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11102

carl do you do any shanging in ny ? i live in westeren new york near the pa. line and im wondering about other areas in ny

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11103

yellowscarf wrote:

carl do you do any shanging in ny ? i live in westeren new york near the pa. line and im wondering about other areas in ny

Where you at in Ny?I know the clymer area has some seng.

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11104

im in Cattaraugus Co. I have dug very little shang in Chautauqua Co.and never in the area of Clymer.Do you live in that area?

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11105

I live in Johnstown, Ny which is in Fulton County. I have never went senging here. Anybody I have asked about it always gives me a blank stare. The dealer my uncle sells his seng to in WV said that NY seng is the best quality wild ginseng out there followed of course by WV. I know by research that the Catskills is supposed to have it. However, just try and get permission to go dig on a strangers property. Things aren't like they used to be. I've heard rumors of there being seng in the Adirondacks. I don't think you would have a lot of time to dig it as the weather changes quickly come September. Maybe that's why the quality is so good as the roots are old.

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11107

i have dug some very nice shang in ny and pa i got a dvd from a guy in your area,are you him? i dont remember his name,it was a few years back.you mite want to look around if people dont know about ginseng they dont dig it.

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11108

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Hello Carl and thanks,

We have alot of copperheads and rattlers here in Ky as well.I am used to them and have learned that you very rarely see them where you dig ginseng,but you have a good chance of seeing them sometimes on the walks to and to and from the ginseng areas.Once and awhile you might see one in the shaded areas but it will be passing threw or trying to eat and they do not stay long.I have released alot of rattlers into the mountians my self I have alot of friends that have kept them and when the females have the little ones sevral friends have ask me to take them to the mountians because they know that I know where dening areas are and that I will take them to a good place.I have caught alot of big male rattlers myself and brought them out for a time and then took them back.I realy enjoy going serpent hunting,but I dont go often.I have trained my sons what to look for in snakey areas and how to see them before they see you the Lord has been good to us,but we always take percaution,the bees are apart of it I usaly get stung good at least once a season but some years i escape them and I watch for them always to :)

Heres a picture of a nice timber i caught and later released.

CarlM wrote:

Billy I know what you mean. I live in Upstate NY and can't wait to get back home and go senging. I can't believe another year has nearly passed since I was in the woods last. It's a great feeling but also a sad one as each year we get a little older. Who knows maybe there might have some ginseng up in heaven for us hillbilly's? I was watching your videos the other day from some of your digs last season. Some nice plants and roots were harvested. I will say you guys made me nervous though. I wouldn't dare go out digging seng in WV without snake boots and chaps. With the copperheads and rattlers we have I don't take any chances. I also wear long sleeves to help protect from the briars and even hornets and yellowjackets. It's hot but definitely worth the security for me. You have a nice family and bunch of friends there to go in the woods with. You are blessed indeed.

Attachments:

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11111

Goodness gracious Billy! Giving me a heart attack! You are one stone cold individual! Blessings to you and keep the seng pictures a coming. Not so much the snakes!!!!

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11112

Yellowscarf, I would love to be able to look around for it. Gotta find the right person to let you on the property nowadays. Unfortunately with lawsuits, poachers and all that stuff, people aren't as likely to let you on their property. Just wanted to know why people in NY call it shang when there is no H in it? I have a friend who's grandfather used to dig some and he called it shang too.

Re:Killing Me 12 years 7 months ago #11115

Carl i learned about shangin from a cousin who has dug more ginseng than anyone i know,he and everyone else in this area always called it shang, just dont know why its that way.must be a NY thing you know how those DAM YANKEES are. lol

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 317 guests and no members online

Login