Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deer Repellant

Deer Repellant 15 years 6 months ago #465

• Martin
  • Martin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
anyone know anything about any of the available commercial deer repellants? I am growing wild simulated in N.Y. state and am wondering if there are any decent organic repellants out there that would not effect organic status of the sang or effect root taste. Also, could anyone offer me any input on my question about mountain laurel in the growning category...still wondering. Thanks, Martin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Deer Repellant 15 years 6 months ago #469

Martin, I don't know of anything that can be sprayed on to repel deer that you would not have to re apply after each rain and perhaps every so often. It might get more labor intensive then you want.

One thing I do in my woods is to lay branches over the sang patch where I can. Deer are kind of like water, in that, they will take \"the path of least resistance\" when browsing. If there is adequate browse outside and away from the branches they will not want to stick their faces into the branches to get to the sang. This would only need done as needed and probably only on patches where the deer travel through regularily. It does seem to help mine. I hope this helps.

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 11 months ago #1193

• Danyell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This information is very useful. I am wanting to plant in Arkansas this year but we have lots of deer. Will they eat mainly the plant, berry or both?

Thanks for any advice.
Danyell

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 11 months ago #1194

I use dog hair and human hair, replenish on every visit, works good.
What is this question about mountain laurel?

Guy

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1378

• nicksmom34
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all I have a friend who hunts ginseng and she said to pee around the patch of ginseng because
it keeps the deer a way...the deer don't like he smell..She uses a jar of pee every 2 to 3 weeks..Yuck..
Tracey

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1379

I was just at a class on non timber forest products today and this subject came up. One thing some sangers do is plant jewel weed right in their patches. The deer really go for it (jewel weed) and tend (usually) to leave the sang alone. The sang roots grow a little deeper then the jewel weed so it's not too competitive with it. I may try this in a patch or two.

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1381

Two Words

German Shepard

MMG

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1382

MMG wrote:

Two Words

German Shepard

MMG

How do you teach the dog not to step all over the sang and tare it out while chasing the deer?

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1383

She has been trained to stay on the road above the patch and she does so most of the time. We did have a problem when she found a doe with a new fawn but luckily they were not right in the patch.
I also must say that I do not have a huge deer population so what we do may not be relevant but having dog ?smells? over by the patch can?t hurt. She is also a great security companion for my wife when they are over there.

Re:Deer Repellant 14 years 9 months ago #1385

• nicksmom34
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
MMG,Everyone,
I would go to the Hair cutting place where you get
your hair cut and ask for the hair for gardening /
ginseng... that works or get ciann pepper and apply
deer and house pets do not like that..
Tracey