2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keeping it fresh

Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37516

Question to all the experienced diggers. After the roots have dried 30 days and are hard and dry, how must they be stored to keep them safe till selling day?:huh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37517

Two bear a paper bag or plastic bag works great most important is where u store it a dry cool place is best.

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37518

I put mine in those cabela's plastic ammo can dry boxes. Keeps em nice and sealed. So, now you have to go buy some bulk ammo so you can get a dry box to put your roots in..:laugh: . Nothing is simple is it.

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37522

can always use ammo;) iam a paper bagger along with hobler..for long term storage I have another method.

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37523

I like the shallow plastic tubs at Walmart. The shoe box size can hold almost a pound and costs a buck. The larger ones 28 qt I think are about 20 x 24 and about 4\" deep. I can put somewhere between 3 and 5 pounds in there and stack the 6' high without breaking anything on the bottom. Also, those Sterilite containers don't seal air tight so you don't have to worry as much about mold.

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37527

BCastle wrote:

I like the shallow plastic tubs at Walmart. The shoe box size can hold almost a pound and costs a buck. The larger ones 28 qt I think are about 20 x 24 and about 4\" deep. I can put somewhere between 3 and 5 pounds in there and stack the 6' high without breaking anything on the bottom. Also, those Sterilite containers don't seal air tight so you don't have to worry as much about mold.

this is what I do, but I don't put any type of lid on it and keep it at room temp n an average room in the house.... as far as a lid I don't see why you would need too unless you're worried about dust collecting on them

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37532

Thanks for the info men. You guys are so knowledgable about gensing and this website is wonderful. Thanks:cheer:

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37533

Wildspirit, thanks for the info. Nothing wrong with having to buy more ammo huh.:woohoo:

Re:Keeping it fresh 8 years 5 months ago #37540

yeah you have something that is pretty easy to take care of once it's rock hard dry..... just keep it away from moisture,sunlight,dust,insects and rodents. If I were to store for a very long period of time I would probably seal it up and put it in the freezer.

two bear wrote:

Wildspirit, thanks for the info. Nothing wrong with having to buy more ammo huh.:woohoo:

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 429 guests and no members online

Login