2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prices to Date

Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36891

Here is the prices I've been hearing from local dealers to date for fresh (subject to change and highly depends on quality):

Kentucky: $130-150lb
North East WVA: $150-160
North Carolina: $190-210
Southern PA: $140-160
Northern PA: $180-190

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36898

that is a load of seng cool pic

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36899

Have u heard anything on Ohio's price's?

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36926

ahershey...

Thanks for the price update and the pics. Now that was a load of seng - great pictures.

steeltrapper...

Here is another blast from the past (1987). That is me on the back right. We used to make it hard on the furbearing critters ! I started seng hunting and trapping about the same time (1976).

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36979

Dang what a pile of fur is that one nights overhaul? It's a shame what the price of fur is now

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #36985

sure is,the sept. fur auction was cancelled ..the auction house said it was due to a complete lack of intrest.

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #37006

That was a weekends (2 nights) catch on the Duck River.

We would take off work on a Friday and hit the river at daylight setting traps... set all day and finish our float (14 mile stretch) after dark... We would get out around 150 good coon and rat sets that first day. Then on Saturday morning would run that stretch, collect what we caught and reset what needed resetting... and then set more traps on the rest of that stretch until dark at the end of that second day (Saturday).. At the end of that second day we would have out around 250 good coon and rat sets... and then on Sunday morning... we ran that entire stretch and collected all the fur, pulled all the traps, stakes, etc... and came home (took a nice Picture) and skinned critters for hours.

1987 was about the end of the fur hay days... the prices really dropped that year, and the next year fur was nearly worthless.

In TN you could only trap coon during the month of December.

In 1987 we ran the Duck River like that on 3 weekends (the other weekend the river was up and falling hard, so could not set)... but on those 3 weekends that we did get to trap... we caught 101 coons and 67 rats... + lots of other critters, mink, fox, bobcat, possum and beaver.

Posting the pictures of the other 2 weekends catches below.

35 coons was the most we ever caught in 1 night.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #37007

Many of the guns that I own now were bought with seng and fur money from back in those days...

In 1979 I was a senior in high school.. after school I would go and set traps for a hour or two after school, then early the next morning run them before school and collect my fur and skin it and then go to school.

Good Coons were bringing 18-24 dollars, mink 35.00, possum 3-4 dollars, musk rats 5.00, bobcat (nice male) 110.00.

Best I remember those days we sold a pound of dry seng for 250.00-300.00.

That big haul of coon we caught in 1987, the price really dropped that year and we got a 7.00 average on those 101 coons (made us sick)... My partner did not want to sell, but I did not want to freeze them and keep them another year, so we did sell at that price. The next year 1988... you could not even sell a coon pelt. It is a good thing we sold them at that 7.00 price.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #37011

Very cool story tnhunter, there is something that is so gratifying about reaping the rewards of a harvest no matter how big or small. I just love being in the mountains, and making a little profit while doing it is hard to beat. Thanks for sharing!

Re:Prices to Date 8 years 7 months ago #37042

I agree 200% profit is ok ... but there in the woods , no better place to spend time.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 373 guests and no members online

Login