2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: GRAMS PER OUNCE?

GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33372

How many grams per oz does everyone try to stick to. I think some get an oz confused with a troy ounce that is 31.103 to be exact. 28 grams per oz to a lb is 448 grams... Or 28.35 grams per oz to a lb is 453.6
Do dealers stick to the 28.35 or the 28..
In high quantity this can be a good difference of pocket change

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33377

There are 16 ounces in a pound. I don't know of anyone who breaks it further down than that. Digital scales just let us be accurate to 100th pound increments...but its all still by the pound ultimately.

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33380

I buy on a gram scale and you don't worry ounces . you are buying selling in 454 parts to a lb.
a lb going for $700 per pound divided by 454 gives you price per gram .

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33390

xl seng,

The law requires us to use in 100th increments of a lb. which is close enough.
I bought a set of scales that weighed in 1,000th and you couldn't use them outside if the least bit of air was stirring or you even breathed on them the last digit would flutter like crazy. Of course people thought the scales were broken or no good so back to the 100th scales I went.

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33410

I guess if you are weighing feathers maybe would flutter. But weighing in grams is honest for the digger. Everyone likes my old triple beam .

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33411

shameroot,

Triple beams are great scales,
Ky. requires us to enter the weight in decimal form to the nearest 100th of a lb. for the ease of addition.
The scales have to be legal for trade type and inspected yearly for calibration by the state.
A person is allowed to use other type scales as long as they are rated legal for trade but we would still have to convert the weight to 100th of a lb. on our purchase forms.

Re:GRAMS PER OUNCE? 9 years 5 months ago #33412

xl seng wrote:

How many grams per oz does everyone try to stick to. I think some get an oz confused with a troy ounce that is 31.103 to be exact. 28 grams per oz to a lb is 448 grams... Or 28.35 grams per oz to a lb is 453.6
Do dealers stick to the 28.35 or the 28..
In high quantity this can be a good difference of pocket change

28.350grams is correct as Ginseng is bought and sold based on the avoirdupois weight scale with 1-ounce = 28.350grams, 16ounces=1 lbs. and 1 lbs= 453.592grams
the other weight scales that are not used is the
Troy weight scale which is used for precious metals & stones where 31.104 grams make 1 ounce and 12 ounces make 1 lbs so 373.42grams make 1 lbs
The final weight scale that's also not used for ginseng is the Chemist or Pharmacists Apothecaries weight scale where 31.104 grams make 1 ounce and 12 ounces make 1 lbs so 373.42grams make 1 lbs
The troy & apothecaries scales are the same from 1 ounce up but when reduced to weighing it lower then 1 ounce they differ in terminology for lower weights and there amount of grain per weight.
I know more info than you needed.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 432 guests and no members online

Login