2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: New planting

New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9509

Last fall I planted a few pounds of seed in a nicely prepared wooded area. After watching it all spring I have yet to see any plants come up. When I lift the leaves I see a lot of sprouts about a quarter to a half inch long. They don't seem to get any bigger and none are showing signs of green. Is this normal or did they give up. I had read somewhere that they only take about a week to grow up to there summers full height after sprouting. Is that bull or is it totally different in the far north (minnesota)?:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9510

Dino, welcome to the board, Im kinda new to the board also and alot farther south than you so not sure about you guys season in Minn, I would suppose it still may be early spring there and maybe your ginseng is just starting to grow there, It is true that ginseng, in its early stages 1-2 years will grow to its full height quickly, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches where i live for yearlings. Older plants will generally get bigger thru-out the season. Hope this helps

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9512

Dino

Welcome to the Forum!

I live in Maine and started growing Seng seven years ago in Wisconsin. Your seedlings are probably as far along as mine are this spring.

I have found in the past that the leaves on Maple trees will be 1/4 - 1/2 their full size and Apple blossoms will be open or close to opening around the time the first seedling start to emerge above the mulch.

My seedlings have had the little root sticking out for almost three weeks. Some of the roots are 1/2 - 3/4\" long now. Cool weather will cause this process to take a long time. From what I saw on the news, Minn got some snow just a week or so ago? That will slow the process down.

I have found that they usually emerge between April 20 and May 20. And we have had a COOL spring. I think your seedling are right on schedule for Minn.

Also the seedlings will need some shade coverage shortly after they emerge. So once you see the tree leaves starting to get bigger, then it won't be long before the seedlings are all up.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9514

Welcome to the forum!

I would take heart from what ClassicFur wrote! Gotta look on the positive side!

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9515

Only 1-1/2\" - 2\". That's good to know. I was expecting about a foot so that's one more thing that won't freak me out when it happens. Thanx.

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9516

That makes sense. The inner time clock maybe triggers with the warmth and sensing shade from the surrounding trees otherwise they would just burn up. All good info. Thanks I should be able to sleep again until the next big crisis.

Re:New planting 12 years 11 months ago #9526

Crisis? What Crisis? Just another tircky day, dude!

[many thanks to the Who, for the song \"Another Tricky Day, of the It's Hard album, 1981]

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 643 guests and no members online

Login