2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9243

K_duce

That is an interesting thought, that the leaves are already formed before it emerges above the mulch.

I found in Scott Persons book, something about that. Talking about a seedling and the next years growth bud. He says: pg7

\"The small skinny root then grows from mid summer through the fall and develops a solitary bud at its top below the ground. The root survives the winter, freezing as the ground freezes. It is from the bud that the single stem and leaves will grow and unfurl the following spring. Interestingly, examination of the bud under magnification reveals the configuration of the next years foliar top(that is, the number of prongs and leaflets).\"

So it sounds like, once the new growth bud is developed, it is already decided how many prongs and how many leaflets it will have the following spring. A three or four prong and how many leaves it will have is already formed into the new growth bud.

I would like to check that out some day.

K_duce, good point!

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9244

Exciting! I just might have to make the trip to my plantings to check. 2 weeks ago, there was nothing up.

Cute little guys, aren't they?

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9245

vafiddler

Congrats on your test plot seedlings emerging! Any success is exciting.

Keep us posted on how well your test plots do.

How much seed did you plant?

Thanks,
classicfur

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9246

Hey Guys,

Just a reminder that Billy said one of those roots he got for me had a \"special top\".

He would not give any details - wanted it to be a suprise.

Can't wait to see it. Hoping it is a 5 prong.

But now just because it was some type of special top (possibly a 5 prong last year) does not mean it will be this year.

That sure would be nice though.

In all of my years of hunting I have never found a 5 prong.

I have found several with multiple tops on one root. Found one root a few years back that had 3 - 3 prong tops on it.

Never a 5 though.

One of the roots in my seed bed was a double top 3 prong last year and I expect it will be the same this year.

We'll see here in a few more days hopefully.

TNhunter

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9247

classicfur wrote:

K_duce

That is an interesting thought, that the leaves are already formed before it emerges above the mulch.

I found in Scott Persons book, something about that.
classicfur

Classicfur,

I guess that one day i will buy his book,it probably could of saved me about 20 years of trial and error. I have for the most part concentrated my efforts on things that i have observed with ginseng in the wild, It has been a very eye opening experience. I have recently however read a book on-line written by A.R. Harding i think it was published in 1936 and covered ginseng production from the 1880 until about 1913, it is a great read and has alot of useful information about the great rush to cultivate ginseng. It is full of tiny bits of outstanding tips if you are able to read into it. One of my favorite things that i read in that book was something like this \"Ginseng is a easy plant to grow and it is a very hard plant to kill.\" After you think about that for a minute you come to realize the truth to it. Ginseng can live longer than most humans, if grown in its natrual state, the closer that you grow your ginsneg to true wild the easier it is to maintain. The hard part about growing ginseng is trying to make it grow faster than it has the capability to do. But hey we are the cookie-cutter society, thats just what we do.

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9248

K_duce

I would love to read the book by A.R. Harding. I have seen it for sale online. It would be easier to read from a hard copy. By the way A.R. Harding is not a related to the ones that run Hardings Ginseng. Atleast that's what I have heard.

I agree and like what you said:

\"Ginseng can live longer than most humans, if grown in its natural state, the closer that you grow your ginseng to true wild the easier it is to maintain. The hard part about growing ginseng is trying to make it grow faster than it has the capability to do. \"

Over the years I have found that to be true. Letting it grow more like wild is the way to go. Instead of trying to rush it along!

Thanks for that comment.

I will look forward to getting a copy of that book.

Thanks,
classicfur

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9249

Classicfur,
You are correct. I had asked Larry last summer if he was related to A.R. Harding and he said no. I know A.R. Harding was from up North.

K-Duce,
I agree when Ginseng is grown in its natural setting it is hard to kill. It can overcome insects, some diseases, animals and drought and can out live a human. But we all know that when planting ginseng it is very sensitive and if conditions and planting techniques are not just right, Ginseng is a hard plant to keep alive.

So it is hearty and fragile all in one depending on the circumstances for sure.

Love the ginseng and mushroom pics. Keep em coming.
Latt

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9250

Latt

A.R. Harding was from Ohio.

Here's a page that shows all the books he published.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Robert_Harding

Sounds like the guy loved the outdoors like we do.

I think ginseng is a hardy type of plant, but picky in where it likes to grow. Give it the environment that it loves and it becomes a tuff little plant.

classicfur

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9251

here is a link to a free online reading

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/harding/intro1.html

Re:Seed Bed tops appearing - 4 & 3 prong emerging now 13 years 1 month ago #9252

I got a root afew years ago had 3 plants 3-4-5 prongs,also have found big old roots that only had 2 prong,they can change from year to year.check out some 2 prongs sometimes they are old and big!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Who's Online

We have 217 guests and no members online

Login