2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Late planting success?

Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9150

Can some of you that have done late planting - meaning late winter planting- please post about the success you have had?

Just curious....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9152

As long as you plant like TN hunter shows on his \"Rake and Scatter\" method, it does not matter if you plant in October or Late Feb as long as the seed is planted correctly and you plant on a day where the weather permits. I have seen no difference in my planting beds and I have been doing this for 3 years now. My beds planted in Oct look no different than the ones I planted in Feb 3 years ago. I just planted some seed 3 weeks ago too and it went very well. So I would consider early March as a late winter planting verses spring planting. Spring planting would be late March or April here in Ohio.

Now Spring planting is another story in my opinion and I am not a fan of spring planting at all. However, some people say they have great success with it but I haven't.
Latt

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9163

Thaks for the post. Latt

I think our warmer weather is a bit earlier here in NC. I am glad to hear your experiences, since that's the approach I took this year. Had plans to start earlier in the fall, however Life got in the way with family emergencies.

I think I've made the \"late winter\" window since the area got 2\" of snow that evening after we got the last roots/seeds in. It's pretty cold this week as well.

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9169

Whitjr,
I have planted most of my seeds from the end of Feb up until around the 25th of March. I prefer this time frame, it has worked well for me. when i started out my first planting was in the fall and i had some setbacks. I will add that in my opinion sometimes if the seeds get stressed by handling/storage or weather they wont all come up in the first season. below is a photo of several ginseng plants that were all planted at the same time but for some reason some of the seeds layed dormant for 2 seasons. I had to crop the picture to upload it but you can see what i mean. in the upper right corner below the watermark is half of a 2 prong and you can see a yearling and a big 3prong and a small 3 prong. hmmmmmm....im now just wondering if the seed that i recieved contained a mix of green seed as well as stratified seed, that could be 1 explaination.
Attachments:

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9170

K_duce

I agree that seeds sometimes get stressed, which may cause the seeds to not germinate the first spring.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that with some plantings, some seeds will not emerge until the second spring. I may have 72% germination the first spring and a few more will come up the second spring. And end up with maybe 80% germination. This does not happen with every planting, usually they all come up the first spring. And I have no idea what causes the seeds to come up a yr later.

I have read that storing the seeds in the Refrigerator too long causes some of the seeds to not germinate until the second spring.

Nice plants!

classicfur

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9178

K_Duce- what time you year was that photo taken? BTW, very nice looking plants.

I agree that a very likely possibility is that there are some not-fully-stratified-long-enough seed mixed in.

Re:Late planting success? 13 years 1 month ago #9192

May 16th, 2001

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 116 guests and no members online

Login