2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: frozen seed

frozen seed 13 years 1 month ago #9096

• Guy
  • Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • BSMGinseng.com
This winter I foregot about a pound of seed, left it out back in a plastic container. I did'nt plant them last fall, because of the cronic pain from my backs ruptured discs,L4 and L5 pressin on my spine. Anyway,water must of gotten in and they froze up solid, like an ice cube. I have allways thought that if they froze they would die, so I took them home and left them in the garage to see. The next month the little roots showed up, they grew about a quarter of an inch long. I planted them today on the icy growned and covered them with some frozen soil that I managed to crumble up with the shovel and some snow.

What do you think, will they grow?

I'll keep you posted.

Guy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:frozen seed 13 years 1 month ago #9099

Guy

Here is something from an earlier post.

This was a question from Latt:

Classicfur,
Can you put ginseng seed in the freezer to keep them from germinating in the frig this time of year if it is impossible to plant now due to the weather? I had heard ginseng seed can survive down to 5 degrees. Freezing them will happen in the freezer at 20 to 30 degrees. I know that leaf litter and ground temps can be warmer that the air but in mother nature the ground under the leaves is often frozen a couple of inches deep. So in essence the ginseng seed that is broadcast as Scott recommends would be frozen as well.
Thanks,
Latt

Latt,

I know where I live in Maine, the ground freezes atleast 3 inches down or more. The thing I have noticed, is seeds that don't get good soil covering them, they tend to dry out and die. But seeds that are covered with soil seem to emerge just fine after they have been frozen during the winter.

Here is a couple of things I found online about seeds freezing.

\"Although spring planting of stratified ginseng seeds is possible, it will not have as high of a successful germination rate as fall planting. Ginseng seeds benefit from exposure to freezing conditions, and ideally they should be planted in the fall when local trees begin losing their leaves.\"

And another: from Glacial Ginseng Co.

\"Quality of Seed: The most important thing here is seed germination. If your seeds are fresh from the stratifying pit and have been properly handled, your yield is going to be much higher. Ginseng has an 18 month gestation period. The last 6 months are the most important. In order for the seeds to properly develop, they must be exposed to freezing and thawing conditions such as occur naturally in the spring of the year. If the seeds have been kept in storage and not exposed to the temperature changes, your yield is not going to be there. The moisture content is very important. If the hulls on the seeds have been allowed to dry, you're just wasting your money.\"

I agree that seeds that are planted in the fall will freeze in the ground during the winter and they germinate just fine. But I don't know what affect freezing the seeds in the freezer will have on germination. It makes sense that they would do fine, but I have not heard of anyone trying this.

classicfur

I think that if your seeds have good coverage of soil and mulch, and are kept from drying out, they will do fine.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 112 guests and no members online

Login