2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jan 03, 2011 North Carolina Revisions of reg.s --LONG

Jan 03, 2011 North Carolina Revisions of reg.s --LONG 13 years 1 month ago #8922

Here are the new reg's here in NC., taken as a \"cut and paste\" from the NC dept of ag.

Here's the general link as well:
www.ncagr.gov/plantindustry/plant/plantconserve/sangno.htm

GINSENG REGULATORY CHANGES, 3 Jan 2011

DEALER PERMITS

All ginseng dealers shall obtain a permit from the Plant Industry Division of the Department prior to purchasing ginseng (no change)

A ginseng dealer shall pay the following fee for a permit:
(A) Resident unlimited quantity ? $100.00
(B) Resident limited (up to 100 pounds per license period) ? $50.00
(C) Non-resident ? $500.00

The buying season for wild, or wild-simulated green ginseng is September 1 through March 31 (formerly April 1)

The buying season for wild or wild-simulated dry ginseng is September 15 through March 31 (formerly April 1)

Dealer shall submit copies of purchase records monthly between September
1 and March 31.

Annual dealer reports shall be provided to the Department at the end of the purchase season. The report must be submitted no later than April 30.

A copy of end of season weight receipt shall be provided to the Department for
any ginseng roots possessed by a dealer at the end of the buying season. The
receipt must be retained by the dealer and presented at the time of any future
certification of the ginseng for export.

HARVEST SEASON

The ginseng harvest season shall be from September 1 through December 31 (formerly April 1).

There are no exceptions to this season of harvest (formerly regulations allowed harvest or sale of ginseng outside the harvest season with completion of ?Statement Indicating Legal Collection of Ginseng from One's Own Land?).

There are no allowances to sell WILD Ginseng outside the season (formerly ginseng collected during the legal harvest season could be sold outside of the season under a completed ?Record of Harvest Season Collection? signed by an Inspector before the end of the harvest).

Individuals collecting ginseng on the lands of another for any purpose shall, at time
of collection, have on his or her person written permission from the landowner

EXPORTS

An export certification fee of three dollars ($3.00) per pound is required and the certification fee must be paid at the time of the inspection and issuance of the export certificate (formerly no fee)

IMPORTS

All ginseng imported into North Carolina from other states must obtain the appropriate certificates from the state of origin, which must be presented to a Department representative at the time of inspection.

CULTIVATED GINSENG

May be dug and sold at any time during the year provided that the grower's ginseng has been certified as Cultivated Ginseng by a Department representative.

State export certificate are NOT required as long as a copy of the certification records accompany the ginseng.

End.

So, if I read this correctly, then we need certificates for purchase of seeds, rootlets intended for planting -from the sellers of same. As well as the continuous season of harvest from \"one's own land\" prior provision is no-longer in place.

There are perhaps other changes that are of importance as well, however these two above are immediately disconcerting to me.

Other components that are disconcerting to me:
1] are the export fee of $.300/lb, and the licensing fee. This new set of regs does not indicate that you have to have a license just to grow, only to harvest.

2] the state still allows harvest of cultivated ginsing whenever. On the surface, this would appear incongrous with the dis-allowance of harvesting wild-simulated on one's own land.

I guess that it's the elevation to \"Endangered' status that has caused the imperialists to hyper-regulate things. Hmmm....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Jan 03, 2011 North Carolina Revisions of reg.s --LONG 13 years 1 month ago #8924

Whitjr

I don't understand why some states require a dealers license for someone harvesting and selling(export) wild-simulated roots out of state. They are trying to treat is as if it were wild ginseng.

In my state of Maine. I am required to have a Ginseng cultivating license to grow wild-simulated. License cost $10 a year. I'm required to keep records of all seeds/rootlets purchased and a map of where they are planted.

When I harvest, the state will weigh and certify the roots as wild-simulated(since wild roots are illegal to harvest in Maine). There is no requirement to have a dealers license to export or sell my roots. To weigh and certify is free.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Who's Online

We have 76 guests and no members online

Login