2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thanksgiving Day planting

Thanksgiving Day planting 13 years 5 months ago #7951

Had another 1/2 lb of seed delivered this week and we got some good rain couple days ago. The ground worked up nicely this morning.

I planted in a different area today, closer to my house and in this location the calcium levels per soil test were at around 800 (quite low).

There is a little maidenhair fern and bainberry growing on this hillside and it faces to the N/E.

I transplaned some 2 prong roots there a couple years ago and they did fine this summer, but I did add some gypsum in early spring.

I ended up planting about 4 oz of seed this morning and did some Hankins method and some with my double rake method.

I also added about 2x the amount of gypsum and bonemeal to these plantings as I did the other location (over there the calcium levels are in the 1400-1500 range).

I took a few pic's of the last bed I planted using the double rake method.

It was a nice morning to be out in the woods. As soon as I stepped in the woods a deer snorted and ran off to the other hillside and stopped and looked back at me. A young doe.

Had a few squirrels barking at me too while I was planting.

One of these days I am going to have to get out there and bring home a few young squirrels for supper.

Anyway I made this bed beside a small log and here is what the lower half of the bed looked like after raking the leaves over, then raking the leaf compost and some top soil over.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Thanksgiving Day planting 13 years 5 months ago #7952

In this next pic, I had dropped the seeds and then dusted good with gypsum and bonemeal.

Attachments:

Re:Thanksgiving Day planting 13 years 5 months ago #7953

Next pic, started covering the seeds...

With all of that gypsum and bone meal making the soil surface white, you can see easily how I can rake that leaf compost and topsoil back over and cover the seeds nicely.

Attachments:

Re:Thanksgiving Day planting 13 years 5 months ago #7954

Then the last step...

Rake on a couple inches of leaves and then walk up and down the bed several times to compress all of that down on top of the seeds.

Hopefully there will be a bunch of 3 leafers showing up there next spring.

Can't wait.

PS - will be heading over to my brother in laws for a Thanksgiving meal at 12:00, then have another one at my Mom's house at 6 pm.

I will be double stuffed today.

Then have another family gathering for another Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.

I will have to order more seeds for the next several weeks to work off all the pounds I will be putting on eating this week.

Hope you guys all have a Great Thanksgiving Holiday.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Thanksgiving Day planting 13 years 5 months ago #7957

Nice job TN!!! Looks great.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 104 guests and no members online