2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng Planting beds

Ginseng Planting beds 13 years 5 months ago #7441

That is a good point. It would be hard to stand back and watch a bed get destroyed or even worse contaminate the other beds. I am not against spraying I am just new to this and I am hoping things work out. I have talked to many wild simulated style growers and most of them spray. I have heard if you do not know what you are doing you can upset the natural balance and make it worse too. This is one area that I am very unfamiliar with. I know the names of the sprays and chemicals they use but I have never tried it myself. I like your idea of using natural good bacteria type sprays. Its probably a bridge I will have to cross someday and I am not looking forward to it. I know it can be labor intense too but worth the while from what I am told. Especially when the plants come up the first year. The first year the many of the tiny sang plants are likely to develop \"Tip Over\" where many plants come up great and look healthy but begin to wilt and \"Tip Over\" due to a fungus at the base of the stem where the stem meets the soil and the stem rots. Especially wet spring time weather can cause this or increase the chances of this happening.
Many of my woods that I have planted in are far from my home and it will be difficult to spray them regularly. I know of one very large wild simulated grower that sprays after every rain in the spring. I am definately more concerned now than I was a month ago as I have recently learned that the likelyhood of a problem is greater than I had previously realized. But I am not going to let that stop me from planting. This is a learn as you go thing for me too. I know being proactive in growing ginseng is the way to increase your yields. However, I will have to adjust accordingly to what is going on at any given time with my situation of having my ginseng beds spread out all over Ohio in different woods here and there. everything I read says adding Calcium is a great way to make your plants healthy and disease resistant. I am really considering applying Gypsum to all of my beds at about 50 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Its almost like buying insurance and not only does it help prevent disease it produces great ginseng and I have heard it is hard to over apply calcium so no worries there.
I realize the more I learn about ginseng the less I know. But I learn something new about ginseng almost everyday.
Good luck everyone

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds

Who's Online

We have 410 guests and no members online

Login