2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ginseng Question

Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35054

• ShadowWalker
  • ShadowWalker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am thinking about starting a ginseng bed but i need recreate shade, what percentage of shade screen do i use and how high do i raise the shade for air flow?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35055

Mine are 80% 10' tall looks good 85% might work for southern states hotter summers? Northern states maybe 75%.? Not sure
175' x 175' beds are 6' wide with 2' walk path. I chose a post every 16' in every direction most cloth comes in 6, 8, 12 are very common, I also use hybrid poplar trees and hybrid willows in between so in a few years no need for cloth. Dug paths first pulled topsoil in beds tilled it up and ready set go. I have access to a ton of leaves each fall chopped up adding leaves will harden the soil causing the roots to slow there growth and become a little tighter and look more wild in the future is the plan good luck.

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35060

Welcome Sysbee and Shadowalker, to this forum.

Nature uses about 70-80% shade from the woods to grow our favorite herb.

Unless you are committed to building a shade enviroment, i would recommend using what nature provides -the woods!

Having said that, you can see photos of a shade-grown approach on a shade-grown website. you'll have to do an internet search for that as i won't post a competetor to our host here.

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35063

• ShadowWalker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you you been helpful. I live in PA and don't have property of my own that has any maples or hard woods on. I only own half acre. I would like to do a 6'×30' raised bed, i am thinking maybe enough room for 500 seeds/roots.

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35082

our hos, Mike Lee, is also in Pa. you might consider contacting him to get locally grown seed, which will do better than some seed from regions that are either too hot [southern] or to cold [canada].

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35086

• ShadowWalker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I would definitely love to get local seed with the exception of the right price.

Re:Ginseng Question 8 years 11 months ago #35090

Find a machine shop local and get you some angle iron drill a hole in top 10' should be good have them weld a spade on the bottle drive them in 2' and there ya go your cloth should be longer on each side to angle out for keeping shade on the edges, fiery red maple grow fast as does yellow hybrid poplar. Cloth can be found on ebay unless the host sells it 75% should work for you the cloth without he grommets are cheaper... You can buy clips for them also on ebay...Have fun growing

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

Who's Online

We have 426 guests and no members online

Login