2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: pH Nutrient Availability Chart

pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34109

Hey everyone:
Been reading a lot of old threads trying to learn what I can from you all (actually started reading every thread starting backwards to see what works or worked for you all in chronological order) and got on the one TNHunter started on gypsum 4 years ago. Got me wondering if my gypsum was mined or synthetic, especially with a drywall plant 20 miles away which utilizes the coal plant flyash to make their product. Went to the manufacturer's website and found a very useful chart to show how and why seng (or any plant)grows so good or bad at certail pHs. Here's the link: www.andersonsmineralprocessing.com/wps/w...1-27.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Here's the massive link to the gypsum product I purchased at Rural King: www.andersonsmineralprocessing.com/wps/p...p;category=NutraSoft

Guy: I remember reading where you said you had a very high pH of 8.? and plants thrived in the controlled area and went downhill after you treated with sulfer. Notice how the phosphorus becomes more available in the upper 8s where calcium is still somewhat usable. The sulfur application actually put you into an unusable area on that chart. Odd! Hooda thought?

By the way, thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge/experiences with anyone interested in growing this mystical plant. This is better than any college course on horticulture as experience is priceless!

P.S. Ive only made it down to page 30 from 41. Good way to utilize down time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34141

That chart is interesting.. nice of you to post it!

How long have growing our favorite herb?

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34151

Thanks Whitjr, I thought it told alot as to the necessity of having one's pH in the range that Scott's book refers to and why, as to what valuable nutrients may be there but unusable if in the wrong pH.

I'm a newbie in planting seng other than berries when hunting wild. This last fall I was hunting seng a bunch in the woods of a local farmer who owns hundreds of acres and was kind enough to grant me permission to hunt seng there. Since my recent layoff gave me the time and I havn't had the opportunity in a few years it got me into it. Well, (I'll try to keep it short) after most the seng turned yellow and dropped I, too late, thought \"darn it why didn't I go to my woods and plant the berries off the wild seng in my little woods\". So I trecked out to my four acre woods and found two wild plants still up and only a few berries remained. I was a bit bummed and it got me looking online for seed to plant out there and well, the seed was planted in my mind more than the ground but it kicked me in the butt enough to get 10 pound of seed and 10 pound of rootlets from this site. Now it's about all I think about. I hope it will do good but all the cards look really good in my woods so I guess spring will tell. Ended up getting some more seed from Ozark and Brad as well and another hundred rootlets from Minnesota for diversity. Now it's time to ponder security and mice and deer and turkeys and slugs and ugh... what else?

I've been reading every (yes every) thread on growing seng starting from page 41 and going backward (on page 16 now)to learn from everyone's successes and failures over time in chronological order. God bless you all for sharing all this priceless information with anyone wanting to learn. In doing so it's as if I've come to know you all and I really want to say that I am glad you are doing well now Whitjr. You are a worker out in them woods and I bet you are glad you're on the road to recovery. God bless yours and everyone on heres endeavor.

Jim

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34155

Layoffs = make lemonaide out of lemons! sounds like you are doing that!

you have put in all that you bought? That's great! How did the ground prep go? Where are you located [generally, what state]?

All my Q's are really needed to be answered in a fresh post, I guess. Forum protocols... don't mean to stomp all over the original content of your post. Maybe you have posted this already, will doa forum search now.

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34157

Whitjr wrote:

Layoffs = make lemonaide out of lemons! sounds like you are doing that!

you have put in all that you bought? That's great! How did the ground prep go? Where are you located [generally, what state]?

All my Q's are really needed to be answered in a fresh post, I guess. Forum protocols... don't mean to stomp all over the original content of your post. Maybe you have posted this already, will doa forum search now.

Of the ten pounds of seeds from wildgrown I only put in 7-8 lbs. of them as I panicked when I opened the box and saw how large that ten pound bag was. Sold approximately three pounds and planted the rest. Then once all was said and done I wished I hadn't sold what I did so after reading about plant diversity making stronger larger healthier plants I went ahead and got a couple oz. seeds from the aforementioned sources. I hope to have the time and patience to take a small paint brush to blooms from different sources to \"spread the love\" and cross pollenate. Most seeds were planted rake and scatter but some spot planting on steeper slopes which are smaller areas. Also tried some Hankins method to test planting methods. Put some seed in all areas of my woods to see difference in growth to try to find the hottest spot. Also, took rototiller into woods and planted close to 120 sq.ft. of area from seeds from wildgrown(in two different beds) in that soil to try to speed growth for seed production. Probably have to thin them in 2 yrs. as I put seeds about six inches apart with six inch spacing of rows. Planted all the rootlets. Them rootlets from wildgrown were beautiful and even a few had two growth buds.

The ground prep was pretty much done by nature and me previously. Very few branches needed moved. I worked around dead trees as all that was left was the ones half rotted, since I had been taking dead ones out for firewood. However I did go through and cut every wild grape vine out of the trees as I suspect they are the reason my average diameter trees are only 8-10\" from the vines killing them before they got very large.

I am in southeastern Ohio.

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34158

Oops. Sorry Whitjr, I missed that new thread part.

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34161

Hello jimsenger66,
You mentioned that you got 100 rootlets from Minnesota. I would like for you to watch those particular plants and see how well they come up this Spring. Get back with us on that if you will. Thanks.

Hugh

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34164

Hugh,
Sure will. Lord willing I will have some nice pics to share of that bed as well as the others. Was a bit concerned with the soil as newbie me got the soil test done after planting nearly everything, but \"looks\" promising. I could start a new thread on that crazy soil for sure. Companions everywhere though.

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34179

Smiling at HUgh's request... i think I know why...

There's quite a few of folks on this forum from Ohio, Jimsenger66. Have you ever heard of Rural Action Forestry, in Trimble, Ohio?

Re:pH Nutrient Availability Chart 9 years 3 months ago #34182

Whitjr:
Ok, the request from Hugh part went way over my head. Must not have read that far through these threads yet. Down to page 14 so must be later than where I am. Rootlets did look very good being half the diameter of my pinkie finger and firm with nice growth buds and fine root hairs and packed in moss.

I've noticed there's a few fellow buckeyes on here. Good to know. We seem to share that high calcium soil and somewhat high pH as well.

I seen some posts on here from Tanner at rural action and on their website from googling. Wanting to try out some of their seed this year. Looks like a good price but still taking heed of the warnings I've read about low price seed so I plan to only try half pound first go 'round.

Well, back to school I go. Page 14 here I come. Hope to have it all read by March. I will probably have a lot of questions after I get done reading all of these threads but who knows they may get answered in reading these.

Y'all have a blessed day!
Jim

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 280 guests and no members online

Login