2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff

Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28559

I got out early this Wednesday June 11 morning and made a few pictures of my seed bed, some wild simulated I have growing near by to it, and also got a few pics of my garden stuff.

Here is a pic of some 3 year old wild simulated I have growing on a hillside next to my seed producing bed.
I started these from seed.

These are in a location where a couple of years ago, a couple of trees died on the west side of them... and I had considered moving them (the past two years they suffered mid summer and died early)... but in a couple of years the other small trees and brush in that area grew up nicely after those two trees died and now this area is shaded nicely again and these are doing fine. I am going to leave them in this location and see how they do (nice to have some right close to home to check on now and then) and these are about 50 yards from my back door.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28560

Here are a few 4 prongers on the lower end of my seed bed...

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28561

Most of these seed bed plants seem to be doing really well - happy where they are.

There are some on the mid right side that have those really nice broad leaves. They are definitely happy.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28562

Here is the bed from the top down... with that big tall 4 pronger at the top being on of those nice seed bed roots I got from Billy.

Notice the extra tall berry stem.

PS... a few weeks ago some of you posted (Hugh and Hill)...that you were seeing early berry development. Mine seem to be sort of right on track with what they have done in previous years. I have flower spikes, but very few berries at this point. I did see a couple that had 3-4 small green berries on now but most are still in the flower spike stage.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28563

Now on to the garden stuff...

I put up some pictures of my garden early on - just after planting my tomatoes..

Now those early tomatoes I planted are 4' tall or taller and loaded up with green tomatoes.

Can't wait for the first red ripe ones... some are turning light already so it will not be long now.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28564

I am trying to find a real good tasting hybrid tomato... the hybrids typically produce more tomatoes and have more disease resistance than your heirloom tomatoes.

I have grown better boys in the past and they are good producers of nice size tomatoes but the flavor is not quite where I want it to be. I did a lot of research over the winter, reading around on garden forums and a lot of folks really brag on the big beef tomato - for production, disease resistance and TASTE. That is the combination I am looking for.

Below is a pic of Big Beef #1..

I can tell already that they are going to be good producers...

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28565

Here is my big beef #2...

I have 4 more of these Big Beef planted a little later for later tomatoes.

Looking Good for sure !
Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28566

And here is a pic of one of my early Brandywine tomatoes.

This is an old amish heirloom tomato - that in my opinion (and lots of other folks) is hands down the best tasting tomato you can grow.

It is a heirloom tomato, so you don't get the fruit production, or disease resistance... but man what it does produce taste absolutely wonderful. They make some good sized tomatoes too as you can see.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28567

My ambrosia sweet corn is doing very well at this point... looking good.

Attachments:

Re:Seed Bed & Wild Simulated & Garden stuff 9 years 10 months ago #28568

On the other end of that bed where I have the corn planted... I got in a patch of strawberries.

Nothing like fresh berries right out of the garden - yum !

Attachments:

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Who's Online

We have 69 guests and no members online

Login