2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: poaching

poaching 15 years 7 months ago #203

• walter
  • walter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hi i am a new reader of this website and enjoy what i have read, was wondering, i planted seeds around 15 years ago, since then i had a small plot growing but got victimized by poachers, i have started pulling the leaves off the stem but leaving the berries as a deterent to the poachers, was wondering how harmful is this tactic to the plant and does it affect the berries?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:poaching 15 years 7 months ago #209

• les
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Walter, sorry to hear someone got in your patch, it is sad that people do that to others, I believe your plants will do about the same after removing the leaves, if you remove them early in the year while the sap is up in the stalk, they should heal & keep growing normally, I have found four prongs in the woods before that deer or other animals have ate the top & the plants I found look normal & crisp, it would be best if you cut the leaves off with sissors not to disturb the stem,where it enters the root system, If you damage the Stem where it enters the root or damage the Bud for next year ,the plant may not come up for several years. I am unsure how much you know about these plants ,but, Next years bud is at the top of the neck by the Stem, it is a small White looking bud which sticks out to the side at the very top of the Root neck, If you damage this bud ,the plant can lay dorment continuing to grow without the stalk comming up until the bud heals, this is a slow process & can take several years, I have found plants in the wild that were huge with only a few notches at the neck area, this happens when the bud is damaged & the plant just does not come up until it heals. also when the Bud for the next growing season is damaged, that plant may come up as two two prongs growing together in one root ,or as a One Prong or possibly a stunted looking four prong. This happens alot when Timber is cut & the treetops fall on plants breaking them off also damaging the bud area, you can find huge plants in cutover timber years after the timber is cut & the area shades over again, You will find four prongs with only a few notches on the neck. this means that the plant was damaged in the bud area & did not come up for several years until that Bud Healed. Hope this helps.
Les

Re:poaching 15 years 7 months ago #238

• Vince the Digger
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Wow...thanks les, I actually learned a bit from your reply to walter's post. I always wondered how the roots got to a large size and have only a couple notches. Thanks bub.

Re:poaching 14 years 8 months ago #1555

• tony
  • tony's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
hello i realy enjoyed your reply to the ? mybe you can help me with my ? why is it that red color gingsang is worth half of black color i live in east tennessee and i have dealers always frowning on my red color sang where i live there is alot of red sandy soil ridges and the dark color dirt is hard to find how can you clean it where they cant tell or are they just cheating out of my sang thankyou for your time and if you dont care reply to my gmail account i dont get on here mutch anyway have a good one

Re:poaching 14 years 7 months ago #1786

Say Tony, are you planting regular ginseng or Korean ginseng? The Korean is red in color but, if you have that red clay soil maybe you have American ginseng just taking on the color of the soil. The usual color for wild American will get grayish as it dries.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds

Who's Online

We have 249 guests and no members online

Login