2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Under Growth

Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15219

• BOYHUD17
  • BOYHUD17's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
What would yall say is the best and fastest way to clear out the under growth to get your beds ready for planting?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15220

Some use Roundup, others use a strong vineger solution.

...I would be sure to protect or move other desireable plants first though...

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15234

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
o ya im defiantly gonna move some of them. But sounds like the round up would screw with the soil and mess with your roots and/ or the apperance of them

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15235

BOYHUD17,
Roundup will not mess up the soil. Many spray in the spring and the summer then plant ginseng seeds in the fall. I have not done it but many do. I would not hesitate to do it if I were planting in an area with many weeds. Beware thou, if you have other desirable plants in the area Roundup will kill them as BCastle had stated.
Latt

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15236

BOYHUD17,
You probably need to be aware that Roundup will do a fine job on grasses and many broadleaf weeds, but it may not do a good job on woody plants such as young Maples, Hickorys, Oaks, and heavier brush that is often found in woodland that is growing back from being cut some years before. You may have to do some grubbing here. Also be very cautious about becoming exposed to Roundup with your bare skin. It can cause some bad side effects. The ingredients become inert after contacting the soil and should not cause any problems with new planted seed.
Hugh

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15251

Best way to remove undergowth? w/o chemicals... a weedwacker. Lots of hard work. If lots of small trees need to go, I use a small chainsaw.

IMHO- I don't think there's any way around the hard work part!

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15314

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
O I've cut down plenty of small sapplings already but I had no idea round up became inert after touching soil.

And defiantly hard work but that'll make it a little easier. Would yall think it'd be best to wait till next year to do that or could I spray now and wait a bit then plant?

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15318

Roundup only works on green leaves. It is pricey, so don't waste your money now. I often spray small saplings that I want to kill off (Sassafras particularly) For smaller sapplings which are rooted somewhat more shallowly, like maples, I just pull them up by hand. I spray rose bushes and then pull them after they die off, or in the spring, I just use a grubbing type hoe and pull them and make sure the roots are high and dry, then spray any new shoots that come up.

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15319

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Alright that'll work. I'll just try and clear out enough with some gardening tools for this year

Re:Under Growth 12 years 5 months ago #15321

BOYHUD,

Things need to be green and growing for Round Up to do a good job. We are at the time of the year that plants are going dormant and you probably won't get as good a response as if you wait until next Spring or early Summer to spray. You will probably be able to do your best grubbing on young saplings and other stubborn woody type plants while things are dormant and more open to work on. I think it is a little easier to plan beds at this time as well. Good luck.
Hugh

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 145 guests and no members online

Login