2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oysters

Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34020

Here in W/C ohio the dark delicious fall/winter oysters have been showing up like crazy and freezing nicely. I have been bringing home pounds each time out off tulip and elm dead fall and popping right in the freezer what I don't eat. amazing numbers and size, keep looking frinds as it has been a while since I have checked in here. Good luck and happy holidays.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34036

same here in mid south, i found a whole mess in one dead tree yesterday. they were in perfect condition hardly any bugs, brought some home to eat and it was better than dryland fish. the good ones i couldn't reach. going to get the extend ladder today to get the good ones.
how will the freeze effect the texture? its 22 degrees this morning, and i was going to dehydrate the rest as my deep freezer is full, these are huge clusters.

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34044

I don't know if I've ever seen oyster mushrooms in the woods. In what sort of areas do you look for them? Are they normally low to the ground or higher up on the trunks of dead trees?

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34046

i have no clue b castle, except this one stuck out like a sore thumb. i think its a maple tree. in the summer months the white oysters pop out of old tree stumps year after year, but they aint as good as these tan brown gray ones. the tree is about 60 ft tall.what you see in this pic is what i left.
Attachments:

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34047

some were about foot wide
Attachments:

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34048

gonna have a shroom fry :silly:
Attachments:

Re:Oysters 9 years 4 months ago #34049

I think I've seen mushrooms out on a dead tree like that when squirrel hunting, but never this late in the year...wow. Nice stuff there.

Re:Oysters 9 years 3 months ago #34131

Glad we could help, at work with no access to photos, bad excuse but the reason and the last 2 inches of rain followed by an ice storms has started another fkush in Ohio. They can fruit anytime when temps each 45-50 by day and drop to no more than 28 degrees at night. I will bring pounds of fresh frozen oysters home tomrrow.

Re:Oysters 9 years 1 month ago #34670

Shroomdawg,
This weekend Oysters??? It could happen. Thoughts??

PS, digdug those are some of the nicest meaty winter oysters I have ever seen. Winter Oysters are so much better IMHO than summer oysters. However, summer oysters are still great.
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 126 guests and no members online

Login