2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Between a rock and a hard place

Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37166

Ok, we have all been in that unenviable position of trying to dig a nice root from under a huge tree root or a big rock that will just not budge. I have found myself in that position more than once this year and it's very frustrating. I'm just curious to what you guys do in that situation. Is it better to just leave the root or salvage as much of the root as you can? My conscience tells me to leave it, but sometimes it's hard to leave it alone, lol.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37168

Damaged root is worthless root, listen to your conscience.

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37169

K duce, I agree listening to your conscience is usually always best. Damaged root is not always worthless though. I had a dealer once that didn't care if the roots were flawless or powder at the bottom of the bag, because one of his main buyers ground his roots into powder anyway. I guess it depends more on who you sell it to, but yes something tells me it's better to leave it.

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37170

K duce, I agree listening to your conscience is usually always best. Damaged root is not always worthless though. I had a dealer once that didn't care if the roots were flawless or powder at the bottom of the bag, because one of his main buyers ground his roots into powder anyway. I guess it depends more on who you sell it to, but yes something tells me it's better to leave it.

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37171

Wild I like to call those roots lifers they're gonna be there producing berries for life. I know where there's a monster root grow ring is bigger than my thumb n it lives under a maple tree that is well over a hundred yrs old. It does drive u nuts though. Lol

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37173

It is one of those judgement calls each digger has to make.

I found 2 like that on my last hunt... it was obvious I was not going to get it out without breaking it off or tearing it up... Once I uncover enough of it to determine that... I just pack the dirt back in and leave it be.

A few years ago I found one growing right out of a hole in a root. Now this root was on top of the ground, and had a hole in it about 1/2\" diameter... and growing right out of that hole was a nice 3 prong.

Sometimes you just have to let them go, and keep on producing berries.

It would be ideal to get every root out, in perfect condition, every single root hair... but we all know that does not always happen - except possibly for Maya :-)

But when you can expose enough to tell that your chances of getting it out in decent shape - look to be very slim to none. That is when you just have to make the call to leave it be.

TNhunter

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37174

I'm w/ Hobbler on this Wild. Just think of all the berries that thing will put out in the next 10-20 years. It will pay you back handsomely if you plant all those berries. I've got at least 5 of them that I can think of.Three are growing out from under the same tree. Here's one growing right out of a hole in a tree!
Attachments:

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37175

LOL TN, thanks, but I have butchered some!:(

Re:Between a rock and a hard place 8 years 6 months ago #37176

Thanks for the input guys. I think from now on no matter how painful it might be I will let the tough ones go. I had a really nice 4 the other day that was lodged under a huge root and it was no way coming out, and I actually thought about getting my chainsaw I had on the back of my 4 wheeler to cut the big root. I then thought to myself have I lost my mind :huh: , lol. Had I had it with me i'm not so sure I wouldn't have. I ended up letting it go. It really is crazy some of the places you find ginseng growing. Nice pic and good example maya.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 199 guests and no members online

Login